Need help identifying illness

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
So my one fish has become very bloated,and it looks like there are 3 or 4 small white spots on his rear fin,, looks like he'
s lost some scales around the bloated area.
He is laying mostly on his side and doesn't move ,,but will move if disturbed..
(Moved him out of the main pond into his own for the moment,) All the other fish in the main pond look fine.
Any ideas??

20201129_184256.jpg
20201129_184324.jpg
20201129_184333.jpg
20201129_184346.jpg
20201129_184354.jpg
20201129_184404.jpg

From what i have read so far it could maybe ,be either Dropsy or constipation.
Idk,,

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your feeding id stop. Like you said it could be constipation and or bacterial bloating.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's dropsy - the pine cone look is a tell tale sign. Sadly this fish will probably not survive. The white spots are lost scales. The bloating is a result of the fish's organs failing. Hard to overcome that one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Well, currently i have him i the hospital,and ill keep eye on him,,, poor bugger..
Now i set him up in there last night,,and this morning i was noticing some bubble formations on the surface,, more than likely this would this be associated to the fishes condition ?
20201130_094838.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the fish is suffering. If put him in a bag / Tupperware with water and place them in the freezer. As the temp drops they will go to sleep and as the temp drops further they will not awake

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
He doesn't look like he's in distress. he'll stay in one place a bit then move to another spot etc,,( then again, what do i know of what the fish is thinking )
Obviously i dont want him to suffer and would rather see him survive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No. The bubbles aren't related to the fish. What water source did you use for the hospital tank set up? And I would honestly be shocked if a fish that far into dropsy were to recover.

@GBBUDD - you reminded me of the time one of my daughter's hamsters got chased over the banister by one of our dogs and fell a full story to it's "death". It was clearly mortally wounded, but not yet FULLY dead, so we put it in a shoebox and put it in the freezer to ease it gently to the other side. I assumed broken spine, probably brain injured, no doubt internal bleeding. He was panting and unable to twitch even a whisker, the poor thing.

The next morning my daughter went to retrieve the box and when she opened the freezer, up popped the hamster. Fully alive and ready to rumble. He had eaten his way out of the box and tunneled into a loaf of bread where he spent the night regaining his senses. That hamster went on to live a long and happy life.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No. The bubbles aren't related to the fish. What water source did you use for the hospital tank set up? And I would honestly be shocked if a fish that far into dropsy were to recover.

@GBBUDD - you reminded me of the time one of my daughter's hamsters got chased over the banister by one of our dogs and fell a full story to it's "death". It was clearly mortally wounded, but not yet FULLY dead, so we put it in a shoebox and put it in the freezer to ease it gently to the other side. I assumed broken spine, probably brain injured, no doubt internal bleeding. He was panting and unable to twitch even a whisker, the poor thing.

The next morning my daughter went to retrieve the box and when she opened the freezer, up popped the hamster. Fully alive and ready to rumble. He had eaten his way out of the box and tunneled into a loaf of bread where he spent the night regaining his senses. That hamster went on to live a long and happy life.
LMAO W T F LMAO
I guess that's where the saying comes from it wasn't his time

I'll make a prediction No koi will duplicate that feat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Clove oil is better for euthanasia of fish. And anesthesia if you need to do something big for wound care, but that’s if you are comfortable trying that... anyway I would buy a bottle of real clove oil, look online how much to mix with water, then in a container not for keeping fish, but water tight, set up the clove oil water mix and add the fish, it won’t take long, and is painless.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks for all the help... think ill go the clove oil way,,, not that i want to do it ,but id rather that than see the poor guy suffer :(
(The misses still thinks he could just be constipated)

Ask a Question