Need help with my pond

Reaction score
This is a natural pond with no liner, We recently bought our house and it was here with it but I do eventually want to be able to put koi in there and maybe make a sitting area. while I know all the lily pads in the middle are good for it I'm completely lost when it comes to the white fluff around the edges. The bottom in the center is clear but there's what looks like long stringy grass growing all around the shallow ends with a layer of green but mostly white spongy growth floating on the surface. I included pictures below this because it's hard to describe and I probably didn't do that well explaining it lol. Thank you in advance to any one that can help with this.
11a13c9d.jpg

cf2eff93.jpg

357e0fd5.jpg

3b0fc9bf.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group. No idea on the white stuff. The lilies look healthy though. Is the stringy green stuff, string algae? slimy and somewhat fragile?

We are heading to west palm next week, come down all the time to check on parents. Nice area.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You might call some of the pond maintenance folks in your area and see if you can pick thier brain without having to hire them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey I found this info...........maybe it's one of these. Prolly not #1 cuz you are in Florida. I'm thinking maybe #4.

1.When algae dies it can have a whitish appearance, though obviously fibrous and recognizable. If the ice and snow cover was dense and the aquatic plants could not get light, algae is likely to die and leave dead white remnants

2.When fish and plants respire, they give off carbon dioxide, that can combine with minerals to form calcium carbonate, chalk and limestone, which can deposit on surfaces. Harmless stuff, very normal, rather whitish

3.When herons hunt, or ducks feed they poop in the water, this can leave tacky looking traces of the same white stuff, this can delude fish into coming out of cover...

4. Most likely the white stuff that you are seeing is probably fungus that will grow on decaying organic materials.

Ask a Question