Need help with my pump! Kinda urgent!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a Total Pond LL3600 sold by Home Depot. I’ve had it for 6 years. I pulled it a little while ago for cleaning, but I can’t get the impeller assembly to release and come out. It’s like it’s stuck and I don’t ever recall having an issue with it in the past. There was a brief video on the HD site, and they show the guy just pulling it out — very straightforward, no effort, no twisting or special contortions used. I’m afraid to be too agressive with it, but can’t figure out what’s wrong. It’s my primary pump (Skippy and turtle-bog) so kinda anxious to get it back in operation.

I couldn’t copy the video, but grabbed a screen shot that shows the guy pulling it out. I circled the part and the arrow shows direction of removal. I posted a question to the HD site, but it popped up and said it would be 48 hours before the question posted — great!

44E8F6D0-BDCE-44CB-8241-39E3CA6E83AA.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just to show how Murphy works..... Our son got into town (now lives in Utah) yesterday for a visit. He took my car to run around and visit friends, and Hubby won’t be home from work for several more hours. Otherwise I’d just run to HD and get a replacement pump! Any other day, I would have transportation (but hey, would take having my son home over the pond pump any day, so can’t complain, LOL!).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That should come out fairly easy. I think you can apply a bit of pressure with out harm. I assume it was running fine when you pulled it out? The o ring sometimes can cause a suction too. I would put vegetable oil on it once apart.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Number 1 reason I always use 2 pumps ,no panic ..Try plugging it in in water like in a sink of water to see if the pump works .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks!

@RobAmy Yes, it was running fine, and the O ring is loose. It’s just the down-inside part that won’t release — first thought was the magnet has suddenly gotten stronger than me..... but I’ve been able to pull it in the past w/out any trouble. It’s never acted “stuck” before. I’ve given Hubby a heads-up to give it a try when he gets home.

@sissy It’s sitting in the sink. I thought about doing that, so will give it a try. I do have 2 other smaller pumps going to spitters, and plenty of aeration (which I cranked up).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
NOTE TO SELF!
DON’T PLUG A 3600 GPH PUMP IN WHEN IT’S
IN THE KITCHEN SINK!

@sissy Yep, pump still works — but still can’t get the assembly out!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought those had a lock .Like you turn it one way and the other way to unlock it .I know I had 1 years ago but gave it away because of energy use

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
NOTE TO SELF!
DON’T PLUG A 3600 GPH PUMP IN WHEN IT’S
IN THE KITCHEN SINK!

@sissy Yep, pump still works — but still can’t get the assembly out!

:LOL:
(sorry...):)

After 6 years, maybe the plastic or rubber bushing has hardened or the impeller has worn a ridge somewhere.
It will probably take some force to get it out, but when you do, check over the parts before you put it back together.
Maybe there's a maintenance parts kit available.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If it's still running ok, why risk damaging it? If the flow has slowed down, try running a steam from a garden hose thru it in both directions to clear it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
GOT IT! Hubby was able pull it out — had to use one of those grippy things you use to remove jar lids, and he still had a hard time getting it out. Gonna clean it, reassemble, and put it back in the pond tonight.

Thanks all!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know mine got harder to take apart each year ,another reason I gave it away .

Ask a Question