Negative edge question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
[U]Lisak1[/U] I know you have a pond with a negative edge flowing into rain exchange. I am basically doing the same thing. I am in the process of building my negative edge. I know the width should be based on the amount of water that will be flowing over and at what depth. Do you know how deep the water is going over your negative edge? I assume there may be an ideal depth to provide good skimming action but not too much flow as to have an issue with small fish going over the edge. 1/2" 3/4" 1" ? Anyone else with similar situation feel free to chime in.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i dont have a NEGATIVE EDGE but i have a upper pond that has a 1' fall down tot he main pond and the water depth is less than an inch and i have had 12" koi swim over the edge or get pulled over. i should add i have about 8,000 gph going over this falls

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Wow. That is in the neighborhood of the flow rate I am looking at. How wide is that fall area? I am guessing around 2-1/2' to 3' ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ours is less than an inch deep over the falls. We have an area that's right before the falls that's about 6 inches deep, then it gets shallow really fast. (We set the actual waterfall rock up a bit higher to create a bit of pooling ahead of the falls.) I think that's helped our fish figure out not to swim over. We have had a few get CHASED over during spawning (and once by an errant dog in the pond!) but when you watch them you can definitely see that know not to swim too close. They swim right up to the edge and then swing around and go back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Mine is less than 1/2 inch of water and maybe 10" wide, comes directly from 26'"depth of water. My goldfish will end up over 5 waterfalls with smaller ponds in front and end into the lower pond. Guess they like the trill.

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thank yall! Exactly the info and experiences I was looking for. That helps me figure out what I need to do.

Ask a Question