Best way to rebuild/raise edge on old pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
My pond is about 9 ft by 7 ft and was built about 12 years ago. I have 5 goldfish in it. I built the pond myself using an Aquascape pond kit. Well, within the past few weeks, I have been losing a lot of water (about 4" every 10 hours), so I knew there was a leak somewhere. Long story short, I have found that the "bank" or raised edge I created with the excavated dirt when the pond was dug has slowly compressed/flattened over the years. There is no longer a raised edge above the water level of the pond, and therefore, the water is running out over the edges in a few places. What is the best way to remedy this? I know I need to rebuild/raise the edges at least an inch or more. Do I just use dirt again to build up an edge around the entire perimeter of the pond? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I ran into the same issue. You can use dirt. What I did in a number of places was to put brick under the edge. I figure that will better spread out the load from a rock placed over the edge.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used some of those concrete patio blocks 6x12 ones that were 4 inchs thick

Ask a Question