morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
This is the time of year that I come across ponds that have been forgotten, abandoned and now need to be resurrected.

Each year at this time I get calls from people for pond consults, cleanings, repairs, modifications, additions and rebuilds.

The typical call is from a new homeowner who's just "inherited" a pond with purchase. What's truly amazing is that when you show up at a property that you've never seen before, the owners expect you to know exactly how everything works right away. It's difficult to explain that each pond is inherently different, that the wiring, plumbing, routing, etc., all require an understanding of their workings prior to actually working on the pond. Most people have no idea when they call what the dimensions of their pond is, or how deep it is.

I've seen ponds that were built just for a wedding (eight years ago), and haven't been maintained since. I've seen ponds that have thousand dollar biological filter trickle tower cabinets that weren't drained for the winter and have split. I've seen ponds that have 6" of accumulated leaves in the bottom. I've met people that want me to drive for an hour to their home, discuss their pond and needs for an hour or two, and then leave with no recompense. I've had to explain to people, that after a thorough cleaning and equipment inspection, application of pond products, that it won't be clear by the weekend when they've got a party planned. I've given people sticker shock when they find out just how much that 5000gph pump is, installed with new plumbing. I've dealt with people that want me to take the water cost off the service charge because they thought I was bringing the water with me (as in a swimming pool fill). I've had people call me to come fill in their pond with dirt (I don't do fills). I've had people tell me it costs too much, yet they'll spend the same amount getting a pool ready for the season (that they might use once or twice max). I've had people tell me that I should give them a break on price because they're having twins. I've had people ask me to give them wholesale prices on all materials. I've had people who don't understand how it is that I can't move a 800lb rock, when there's no access to the backyard. I've had people call me to ask how much chlorine they should put in their pond. I've had people tell me that they don't pay anyone more than minimum wage for outside work. I've had people tell me that if I do a good job, they'll recommend me if I give them a break on the price of their work. I've had people ask me to travel 2 hours to clean out their kiddy pool pond. I've had people willing to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars to remove waterfall rocks that have fallen into their pond.

Man, I just love start ups.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The one that really irks me is that I offered to come to Priscilla's in the Cayman Islands and do all of her grunt work, get dirty, take abuse, etc.

All I asked for in return was airfare, food, clothing, shelter and an unlimited bar tab. She ungraciously turned me down. That hurt.

It seems that I, as an non-complex individual, now have a complex.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
here is a good one for you had a guy asked me if he could put a little bleach in his pond to kill algae and he wanted to know if it would kill his fish .My answer was would you drink a little bleach and his answer was no and well then how do you think your fish would feel

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No, I'm saving my money to cover your bar tab. Your work better worth it. What's your refund policy?
He has none!.................hard to return those drinks ..........................

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He should pay for the ticket paradise is not cheap and he can find free food hanging from the trees and catch his dinner from the ocean and sleep under the stars .Now the drink part i am not sure of ,how long does it take to ferment fruit :)

Ask a Question