New Bog :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Spent the weekend removing the falls, and installing a bog in it's place. Got everything installed, plumbed, and leak checked.
Just have to install a few more stones, and put the plants in. IMG_20190324_181728014 (Copy).jpgIMG_20190324_181745362 (Copy).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
One more thing: How to wash the sediment from 2000 pounds of pea gravel before putting it in the bog.
Pile it up, hose it off, and hope for the best. ;)

As you can see in the pics above, you can't get it all. But mabe it will settle out one day. I just hope the fish aren't damaged by breathing all that dust.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pile it up, hose it off, and hope for the best.
Lol unless you wash and wash there will be dirt on the gravel. I just dumped mine in the bog filled it up let it circulate and the dust dirt settled got removed by the filtering of the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Update: Bog is doing it's job. Water is clear, some plants are in, and tomatoes seem to like the bog environment. I had a severe leak last week. Was my fault, for not sealing around the plumbing properly. Got it taken care of, and all seems to be well for now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
How to tomatoes do in a bog? Was thinking about trying them since they grow intrusively in the sewage treatment plant settling ponds...hahaha

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How to tomatoes do in a bog?

I stuck some tomato cuttings in my bog one year on a lark - I had just finished pruning some of my plants and thought "what the heck". Everyone told me it would never work - "too much water, they'll drown" they said. Well, not only did they not drown, they FLOURISHED. They grew huge and vine-y and produced so many delicious tomatoes! It was a successful experiment!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
One more thing: How to wash the sediment from 2000 pounds of pea gravel before putting it in the bog.
Pile it up, hose it off, and hope for the best. ;)

As you can see in the pics above, you can't get it all. But mabe it will settle out one day. I just hope the fish aren't damaged by breathing all that dust.
i seen a guy on youyube just put a waterhose (washing them)in the bags of peebles before using them

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your inspiring me to try tomatoes in my bog. I have volunteer cherry ones that grow up from under our deck stairs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sticke 'em in there. Mine are starting to bloom. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Plants are so funny and surprising. I just took some fruit trimmings out to the compost pile and discovered a potato vine!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Taters will grow if there's an eye in the peeling that you tossed in the compost heap.

Ask a Question