sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Florida has been getting flooding rains so could be why he has not been back on .I could never take the storms down there .I was watching the weather channel and it has been bad .They called for rain here but nothing so far

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
welcome and please do not use algaecides they are called suicide bombs that kill fish other other creatures in the pond .Barley is better liquid form and good barley will be in a darker bottle and barley with peat is better .
Thanks, Sissy. Well I actually did use an algicide in the first heavy bloom of green algae but since it did not seem to congeal and drop the algae as it claimed, I abandoned it after a single dose. There were no fish in the pond at that point. However, there were thousands of tadpoles, water striders, dragonfly nymphs, etc., and they seemed to survive the suicide bomb. I switched to barley bales at the suggestion of a friend, and then began adding water-filtering plants (water cabbage and water lilies) and then added some goldfish while the water was still pretty murky. I like where the water is now in terms of clarity. My only problem is evaporation and water replacement. I need a recommendation as to how best to reintroduce water and chlorine/ammonia neutralizing agents.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_6795.jpg
I get that, DutchMuch, thanks. Can I put dechlorinator in before adding tap water, or just after? My ponds total 1,000 gallons and if it doesn't rain I will want to put water back in after losing about 100 gals to evaporation.
This is what I use, yes it's more expensive than liquid dechlorinators..... But you don't have to measure, I have done wholesale water changes with it many times with no ill effect.... It's good for 30,000 gallons, what I do is take a permanent marker and write what I think I used, when it gets to 25,000 I buy a new one,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I add Prime, before I add water. Prime is expensive, but you don't need much.....when I say expensive, like $28 and will last the season easily in a 1000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
I add Prime, before I add water. Prime is expensive, but you don't need much.....when I say expensive, like $28 and will last the season easily in a 1000 gallon pond.
Thanks, Tula.

Another thing: I have some sort of pond weed that wants to grow extremely rapidly. I have just under 100 sq ft of pond surface area, of which about three quarters is covered by vegetation of one type or another (including the weed). The weed appears through photo identification to be a variant of Hydrilla, which is an invasive species in Florida and elsewhere. It apparently was dormant in a couple of pots of Alisma plantago that I bought from an aquarium/pond supply here in Daytona, but it's not dormant now!

However: I hesitate to pull it out, for two reasons: 1) It spreads out densely at the surface, which provides both cooling shade from mid day sun, and predator-cover for the fish - and 2) I have noted the goldfish actively pulling off and eating the leaves off the stems, so I must assume that this is a food source for them. I do trim them back almost daily because, along with the water lettuce and lily pads, the open water would close off very quickly otherwise.

My question is, is Hydrilla a decent oxygenator? It certainly is a dense green plant, indicating lots of chlorophyll. I have two small waterfalls and two "spitting" features which I think provide a healthy amount of physical oxygenation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
Florida has been getting flooding rains so could be why he has not been back on .I could never take the storms down there .I was watching the weather channel and it has been bad .They called for rain here but nothing so far
Sorry for the late reply - yes, you were right, we were hunkering down for Hurricane Irma. Got through that with nothing more than some angst and sweat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So you've given up the Cherry Festival for Bike Week?! :D

Congratulations on your new home. It sounds like you've acquired an interesting landscape and I can't wait to see what you do with it. I just joined this forum myself, and have already noticed just how many knowledgeable and helpful folks are on here. I'm sure you will learn a great deal here.

Best of luck, and welcome!

Former Michigander, former Floridian,

Julie

Ask a Question