new guy new pond

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls my name is Bailey and ive been in the koi hobby for 1 year and this summer will be my second. I currently have a 850 to 900 gallon koi pond run on a 1000gph pump in a bucket with some filter media I know this is not adaquete but the pond is crystal clear In there I have a few 8 inch koi and some goldfish I already realize its small and next year I want to make it roughly 12 by 7 and about 3 1/2 to 4 feet deep and install a bottom drain skimmer and a filterfall. I was thinking a bead filter for the pond, does this run the bottom drain and how does it work im new to those. I know about skimmers and stuff, whats a good pond pump brand to. I would also like to know is there a need for jets in a koi pond or is that not nessesary with all the other things thanks and sorry for the questions I want to do this one right my familys cheap and If I want somthin good I got to do it myself

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome leuc to our big pond and we are glad to have you on board .The pump will depend on how much you want to spend how big your pond is and where you live would be helpful and the kind of fish koi or goldies and how many fish

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the pond fanatics!

Attachments

• bugwelcome1.gif
    bugwelcome1.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 263
Reaction score
The pond will be upwards of 2000 gallons and four feet deep I want to use a bead filter to run the bottom drain and have the water from the bead filter return into the waterfall, I want to use a 3500 gallon or 4000 gallon per hour pump to run a good size skimmer because I want a good size waterfall to. The 1000 gallon per pump I have know will run a jet and maybe run a fountain. The pond is gonna be odly shaped kinda like a stream if im gonna make the pond 12 feet long and odly shaped should I install two bottom drains connected to the bead filter? or no I wont be setting it up till next spring so it gives me plenty of time to plan it out and make some money

Ask a Question