New house, new crappy pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
How far away is the new house from your existing house? It would not be unreasonable to include as a term of the sale of the house that the fish are your pets and not included, and you want to leave the fish where they are until you build a new pond and it is safe to move them.

I'm about 30 minutes away from my old house, This is an interesting idea that I didn't think of. I'd probably rather avoid this, though, as I don't want any terms that could jeopardize the sale of the house in this market.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I like the temporary solution Mitch proposes. If you can spare the space, a large kiddie pool in the garage with a small pump (to circulate a bio filtration setup) can house your fish through the winter. In the spring you can tackle the pond remodel at your leisure.

I like the idea, but unfortunately I just don't have the spare space...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My sister in law works for amazon up there and she said they are hiring but it is really hard to find people who can pass the drug test and background check and know what she means because ebay is here and they can't get people either .People don't seem to want to work .My sister in law had a house in Berwick and sad to say it took 3 years to sell so hope you have better luck .Have you asked the realtor if the old pond is an asset or a liability in the sale of your old house .I know here they are a liability ,There is a house not far from that has a custom built pond by a pond pro. and it has been on the market for over 2 years and they have the house down to 119 thousand and realtor said it will have to go down to the 55 thousand range and it may sell then

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
The realtor has been wishy washy on it. He said for the right buyer, the pond can really sell the house, but others who don't want the maintenance, and would rather have the grassy yard, won't like it... So I guess I'll see once it hits the market.

My new house is actually just a couple of miles down the road from Amazon. From what I hear, the turnover rate at Amazon is pretty high, and largely due to failed drug tests, showing up to work drunk, missing work, etc. The unemployment rate in Hazleton is very high, yet nobody wants to work because they can get a free check from the government instead... But that's a conversation for another time and another place...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I like the idea, but unfortunately I just don't have the spare space...
If you don't have the space, and you are determined to keep your fish, I would reline the existing pond right away and get the cycling process started.
You will need 4 weeks to establish a biofilm, otherwise you can possibly force an early setup using a product like Prime.
That method has it's drawbacks though.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My sister in law Kathy has worked there for a couple of years now and she likes the money but the overtime is getting to her .You could make it an option if people don't want the pond that you will remove it .Sad when no one wants to work ,you used to have pride and wanted to work .Most of my life was 2 jobs and that is why I could retire just before my 50th birthday .I hope you get a quick sale on your other house .I know the market here is really bad ,houses stay on the market for years and others get snapped up fast .My neighbor has had his listed now for over 3 years and has a huge workshop ,problem is the builder has a bad reputation around here for building bad houses.The other 5 of those houses that have been up for sale on and off have not sold either .Word got around and the people just don't want them .When a builder sells a brand new house and gives no warranty it should tell you something about the builder .Good gosh my house is a modular and came with a 10 year warranty from Norris Homes .2 minor problems and they fixed them right away no if's or buts about it .

Ask a Question