New koi NEED HELP

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
A sweet lady whom loves my pond donated this new koi, I didn’t know until it was to late that she had put the koi in the 1200-gallon pond. I kindly sat there with her as all my other koi and goldfish hide. I must keep in mind that it was around 5pm and the sun was still working it’s magic. Nonetheless the little koi was swimming around. But what concerns me is this particular koi has a bend in its lower body, and tends to swim in that direction, to the right. As soon as she left, I took the koi out and I have him in the 400-gallon pond. I know the water is different, but I didn’t want to take a chance of something wrong with this koi. It was not in the main pond very long, and the other fish seem fine as of right now
Does anyone knows or experienced a koi with a bend in its body.
Could something be wrong? Please help
This one is pretty solid white, with one orange dot on it’s back :arrow:
She did mention her pump went out and he was in a very small container.I wonder if being in a small container added to the bend.
Also he was swimming around in the 1200 ,but just seemed off..And she just put him in there without the proper tech support ,arrrrr
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• new koi.jpg
    new koi.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 298

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have one that is about 5 years old it was a baby that was born in the pond
It does good its black with i little orange on his lower body 8 to 10" long but i never see him when i thin the herd
If you have him contained hes not going to straighten out and be like the others
I would say
If the lady asks tell her he didn't make it

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not knowing koi, but I would think the small container may have helped make the bend. Wait and see if it does ok in the small pond, I don't think I would get rid of it.

Reaction score
I could not see getting rid of it due to a bend in its body thats like getting rid of one of us for walking with a limp? Its not his/her fault and so should not be taken out on him/her :arrow: sorry i am a sucker for animals. Whats the worst that could happen it swims in circles?? I would quarantine it and make sure its healthy then add it back to the pond. It will have a ball flying around that large pond with the others.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It might straighten out too! put it on an exercise program.............lol

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
noobfisher said:
I could not see getting rid of it due to a bend in its body thats like getting rid of one of us for walking with a limp? Its not his/her fault and so should not be taken out on him/her :arrow: sorry i am a sucker for animals. Whats the worst that could happen it swims in circles?? I would quarantine it and make sure its healthy then add it back to the pond. It will have a ball flying around that large pond with the others.

I wasn't planning on getting rid of him.I know how it feels to be [the kid looking out the window syndrome] I saw that the koi was swimming in the 400 this morning and seems ok.I was more worried that it maybe sick,yet she got him on sell for $24.00.
I'll probably add him to the bigger pond this morning...he bend was probably from being in a small container.........He so small 1 inch long compared to my other's though.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Actually I'm going to abort that last statement.The koi seems to swim on it's side and struggles.I did try to feed him,but ate nothing.I still have him in the 400 with no other fish,plenty of water and filteration movement.So I'll just see how it does.I can always add the fish to the 1200 in a month or so,before winter sets in..Wish this fish some luck.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
digginponds said:
Actually I'm going to abort that last statement.The koi seems to swim on it's side and struggles.I did try to feed him,but ate nothing.I still have him in the 400 with no other fish,plenty of water and filteration movement.So I'll just see how it does.I can always add the fish to the 1200 in a month or so,before winter sets in..Wish this fish some luck.

aww bummer diggin good luck to the lil guy/gal

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If the fish has a bad gene do you want him breeding in your pond

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
as i understand it...most birth defects in fish are due to warmer waters when still in the egg....warmer waters speed the development process up and make the developing fry more prone to defects.

Reaction score
If this is a birth defect, or from quick development as a baby, am I wrong in saying it will not straighten out? I have been culling little ones that have severe bends toward the tail like this.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i had a fish for well over 9 years that had a bend just like your little guy ... she spawned every year and i never saw any babies with defects !! i dont believe in getting rid of things just because there not perfect ... im with noobfisher !!!

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
as i understand it...most birth defects in fish are due to warmer waters when still in the egg....warmer waters speed the development process up and make the developing fry more prone to defects.

thank you for all the replies.Sad thing lil guy passed away yesterday.I'm really glad he was with the other fish very long.But I believe he was a lemon from the get go.I suppose thta could be a warning for all whom may buy koi @ the end of the season..not sure

Reaction score
that is sad, hope he is in KOI heaven, i was pulling for the little guy, no one is perfect and difference is what makes us what we are. He was different sorry to hear that you lost him.

Ask a Question