New member and new fry

Reaction score
I have been a member for a few days now but did not post under introductions.
I (Mike) have had my hands full for the last 10 days due to a few Koi that thought it was spring! Not to mention, I am new to the Koi pond club and was taken by surprise when my 17 year old son called me at work and claimed there were eggs in the pond? Of course being the well grounded DAD, I told him to handle it since I was at work (and thought he was looking at bubbles in the water). WRONG!!! There were Koi eggs in the pond and here in Florida, we were getting a cold snap that I was not prepared for!!!! The eggs went into a 30 gallon tote that went into the shed with electric heaters. Now, 10 days later, I'm a , grampa to a few thousand Koi fry.

ANY TIPS APPRECIATED, THANKS.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome firenfix to the forum! I like to think of my pond as a natural ecosystem that I built. Therefore I don't take eggs out. If you don't feel up to running a fish hatchery as a side line I would suggest you put the fry back in the pond. Probably a few will survive and that is the law of nature. I had two fry make it this year and grow into nice fish and that works for me!

Ask a Question