New member in SoCal

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by zeuspaul, Mar 19, 2017.

1. zeuspaul

zeuspaul

I have been lurking for a few weeks as I work on my 800 gal, 8.5 feet diameter, 30 inch deep above ground frog pond. I have a lot of native tadpoles (Baja California Tree Frog) that need a better home.

The landscape block surround is complete. I have the underlayment and am waiting on the EPDM liner. I have a feeling installing the liner is going to be a bit more difficult than I originally thought. I may try laying the 15 foot square 66 pound liner over some 2x4 wood spanning the pond and then slip out the wood to let the liner drop into place. Is there an easier way to do this by myself? Also will the liner fit into place without folds?

zeuspaul, Mar 19, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. zeuspaul

Lisak1

Welcome! We'd love to see pictures of your work, if you haven't already posted them!

As for your liner: you will have folds - accept it and just work to minimize them.

I wouldn't use the 2x4 approach. I would open the liner all the way, and then fold it in half lengthwise and then in half again the same direction. Then I would lay it on one end, overlapping the edge by as much extra as I could afford. Open the liner once (now you have half the pond covered) then open it again (now it's fully opened). Or, you could use the same approach and fold it in half lengthwise and then in half width wise. Start with the "point" (the very center of the liner) in the middle of the pond and open first one direction, then the other in the reverse order of the fold. Either way, you will have some shifting to do to get the liner equally distributed.

You will make this job much easier if you have at least one additional set of hands, but it is definitely possible to do alone. Just take your time and like I said - Folds happen. Minimize, but don't think you will eliminate them completely and all will be well!

Lisak1, Mar 19, 2017
    MitchM and Meyer Jordan like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. zeuspaul

Usman

i opened it in garden and dragged it in center , but as lisa said its good too , after laying , its good to fill few gallons of water in it then adjust the bottom if its in centre , then as u fill it , b vigilant and keep correcting any big wrinkles all around , after filling its impossible to remove wrinkles , too much pressure of water , you can only maneuver the place few inches below surface so u need to do asmuch as possible while filling it gradually , some people collect all the small wrinkles at one place then fold and tape it or glue it . later on hide it with rock , plants
    choose a warm day at full sun

Usman, Mar 20, 2017
  4. zeuspaul

zeuspaul

The walls are not very stable. It is difficult for me to get in and out. I have to be careful of the protective upper collar because it is not very secure. The string didn't work very well so I used an adhesive but it doesn't stick very well to plastic. Water should help with the stability of the walls and the collar but the challenge is to get the liner in first.

My better half will help me but she may have a little difficulty with the heavy liner.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am still waiting on the liner. Hopefully it will arrive undamaged. I received a notification from the shipper that there is a delay because the shipping label does not scan. I hope it is only the label that is damaged and not the liner.

Frog_Pond (1 of 2).jpg Frog_Pond (2 of 2).jpg

zeuspaul, Mar 20, 2017
    cas and Becky like this.
  5. zeuspaul

Becky Administrator

Welcome to the forum! Great to have you here :)

Becky, Mar 20, 2017
  6. zeuspaul

MitchM

Welcome!

MitchM, Mar 20, 2017
  7. zeuspaul

MoonShadows The Jam Man

sgreeting_welcome_team_100-100.gif

You have the makings of a beautiful pond.

MoonShadows, Mar 20, 2017
  8. zeuspaul

Lisak1

It worries me a bit that you say the walls are unstable - water won't stabilize. It will apply an outward pressure which could lead to big problems. And your stacked wall needs to be absolutely stable - you don't want anything to be loose. It's going to be rough to get your liner in place in the circumstances you describe.

Lisak1, Mar 20, 2017
    Usman and MoonShadows like this.
  9. zeuspaul

MoonShadows The Jam Man

@zeuspaul I am going to be constructing my raised pond...if the snow ever melts!...and I am planning to use block to build up one side where the ground is a bit lower and create a ring around the pond that I will fill with p-gravel. Are the blocks you used the 11.5 in. x 7 in. x 4 in. Pewter Retaining Wall Block for just under $2 a piece that can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes? They are the same ones I am looking at. I like that look.

Usman likes this.
  10. zeuspaul

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group of great ponders!

addy1, Mar 20, 2017
  11. zeuspaul

zeuspaul

@Lisak1 The retaining block wall wants to lean inward so I am hoping the outward pressure of the water will help counter that.

@MoonShadows I used the larger 16 inch x 9 inch x 6 inch block. I may have been better off with the smaller block as I prefer the look of the smaller ones. I was guessing the larger block would be easier to construct but strictly a guess.

zeuspaul, Mar 20, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  12. zeuspaul

MoonShadows The Jam Man

@MoonShadows I used the larger 16 inch x 9 inch x 6 inch block. I may have been better off with the smaller block as I prefer the look of the smaller ones. I was guessing the larger block would be easier to construct but strictly a guess.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Now that I take another look, they do look larger. I don't think the Home Depots in this area carry that size. They do carry a block that size, but it has a hollow middle like a cinder block.

BTW...I imagine when you say the wall leans inward, you are referring to the step back created as you build the wall. I don't know if I would rely on that to hold the water. Just a thought....each of your blocks are 864 square inches. The same amount of water weighs over 31 lbs. I would imagine those blocks don't weigh more than 40 lbs. each...and that water is going to be pushing outwards.

Usman likes this.
  13. zeuspaul

Usman

whats the reason to built a fully raised pond? i think if its all above ground it needs cement to secure , what i was thinking was better is to dig half below ground and only raise one brick ring above ground that would have been very strong stable , iam wondering , have u placed soil around it after raising it all above ground?

Usman, Mar 20, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  14. zeuspaul

MoonShadows The Jam Man

That last picture does look like the soil is built up around the block wall. If so, that will definitely help, but the soil has to be built up completely around the wall.

Usman likes this.
  15. zeuspaul

Usman

yes but another danger i see steep slope at one side , means very lose soill will b holding it there which can erode too , seems to b a small hill? cant get it much , may b larger pic can help

Usman, Mar 20, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  16. zeuspaul

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Yup...a few perils there.

17. zeuspaul

Usman

i was waiting for ur pond , u told us it is due in feb ? so its coming soon , excited :D

Usman, Mar 20, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  18. zeuspaul

zeuspaul

Yes it is on a slope. It is about 18+ inches drop from one side to the other. The top side is dug in about 18 inches and the lower side is about on native ground. I wanted to avoid a lot of digging as I wanted to avoid damaging a lot of roots of the native plants. I thought I was far enough away from the native ceanothus. I had no idea their roots wandered so far and shallow and ended up destroying more than I anticipated.

The retaining wall blocks are 50 pounds each. There is a lip on the bottom of each block which is designed to keep the block from moving out. As @MoonShadows noted that is what causes the inward offset.

The dirt on the inside was placed to protect the liner and helps stabilize the lower level. There are large rough gaps between the blocks and the dirt fills those gaps.
    Frog_Pond (3 of 1).jpg

zeuspaul, Mar 20, 2017
  19. zeuspaul

MoonShadows The Jam Man

I'm waiting for the 2 feet of snow we got last week to melt! The few mild days in February and March lolled me into the idea that I would have it up already. The 5 big boxes are still sitting in my dining room! On another note, I already have 3 sarassa comets in an aquarium just waiting to move to 425 gallons.

Usman likes this.
  20. zeuspaul

MoonShadows The Jam Man

@zuespaul, I think you are taking a big chance, but will be very happy for you if it works the present way.

1. Advertisements