New member looking for advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did actually start at the top. But I have such a large drop off. There was a ton of epmd showing down to the reservoir. And the flagstone on the right will have to go away. I don't like it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No - what I mean is you created a foundation that looks like a waterfall. It should look more like a concave slope to accept the rocks which create the waterfall.

And if you watch any waterfall build videos, you'll notice they start with framing boulders. A few big rocks look more natural than a pile of small rocks.

(edited to add: I'm not trying to be critical - just offering suggestions when you still have the opportunity to make some changes.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
No offense taken. I asked for help.
So redo the lower part? The top turned out like I wanted. I wanted to split the water two ways.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Let me ask you this - how do you imagine yourself covering the exposed vertical liner under the flat waterfall rocks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would say to build a waterfall you first need to think....what kind of falls do l want? Some drop off a ledge, big flat rock or a weir and have a curtain of water falling into the pond. You can have this fall from whatever height you desire depending on how strong your pump is.
Or, you can lay rocks with steps where the water flows nicely over the rocks.
You could even have both, where my second choice goes first then let the water make a sudden drop.
I built mine more than a few times before I was satisfied.
The base of mine, before I used the rocks, was a mound of soil which the pond side was shaped concave so that any water would flow back into the pond. Then I ran my underlayment, then my liner. Then I started applying the rocks. I reached behind the liner and created ledges for the rocks to sit. Then kept stacking the rocks and stepping them back and up. I stacked the rocks so they were locking into each other so the whole thing is stable. Kind of like a brick wall. When you get the flow you want, fill the rest in with more rocks to cover the liner. Make sure you don't use any pointy rocks in case they fall into the pond. You don't want any risk puncturing the liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That’s a good video, I’ll keep that in mind for when I do mine! A waterfall is a structure, and needs a good base, with strong framework. Start at the bottom and work your way up. For the taller vertical areas, I’ve seen several things you can do. Either a few tall rocks, lots of rocks all stacked, ( bigger ones on bottom leading up to smaller ones) or I saw somewhere where a person mixed sand, small rock into a thing of waterfall foam, and used a putty knife or trowl to apply it. You could stick small pebbles in it while it’s still wet, creating a look of a natural earth wall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, so I got tired of trying to make it look right and pulled everything out. Started from scratch and made it much more simple. What do y'all think.
20180826_194012.jpg
20180826_194022.jpg

Ask a Question