new owner of an old pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
the round planter in the back yard was what I suspected, it's going to house our turtles and goldfish when back up and running. concrete is in great shape, unfortunetly I suspect it cracked after it was backfilled and allowed to freeze

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! My iPad isn't loading your entire message, or the pic --- no, there it went!

That is a nice pond, or planter, but I wouldn't trust that concrete! If it was me, I would consider installing an EPDM liner. What is the pipe sticking up from the middle? Was that for a fountain?

And where to you live? If it's already frozen and cracked [as you suspect], then I would be afraid it would happen again, which you wouldn't want to happen if it was housing fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in indiana, so the pond will be drained for the winter.
the little round spot on the bottom left of the pond is a drain to the storm sewer so draining and cleaning will be easy.that's how I got it so clean for the pic, the drain takes more flow than my hose could put out for several minutes. It looks like it used to have a pipe threaded in that was cut flush with the bottom, which I suspect was up to the water level.

I'm not sure what the center pipe is as there is no intake for a fountain, but when I tried to clean it out, I found I could push water into it for a few seconds until it backed up, then water would run back up and out for a few minutes, maybe a gallon plus of water input and return which is puzzling. I'm going to dig around the perimeter and see if I can find some plumbing. maybe it had some sort of well or cistern feed into the pond and drain into the storm sewer.

Last edited:

Ask a Question