New pond build and landscaping started

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YEAH THE CERTAINLY IS NO LACK OF RAISED PONDS ON YOUR SIDE OF THE POND thats for sure.. i have got to get a new keyboard or take some typing lessons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have made real progress this week, with the bottom drains going in.

IMG20240322123401.jpg

IMG20240322155735.jpg

The block work is now up to full height

IMG20240322155757.jpg

This is the bog filter area.

IMG20240322155712.jpg

The floor of the pump room has been concreted, the walls still need to built and the intake bay constructed at the front. It's getting there :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WHOOHOO i see finish cap going on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WHOOHOO i see finish cap going on
We haven't got that far yet!. In fact it's almost the opposite, the backfill material against the wall is unprocessed pea gravel, it's how they take it out of the ground. I'm not sure if this used in other places or it's just because we live local to gravel excavation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well that's the block work completed.:joyful:
IMG20240329172217a.jpg

IMG20240329172240.jpg

This is the "pump room" it will be covered a boardwalk that can be lifted up. I will but a diy pre filter in which then be pumped into the bog filter area at the top of photo. On the right is just a bog planting area to put the clean out water.

IMG20240329172246.jpg

This is going to be the intake bay, I will fill up the bottom with sand level to lower block. I 'm then going to make a filter basket to fill the area and on the front will a liner covered section that will be design to plug the hole so water only flows over the top. The bay will be covered by the boardwalk.

We are having the the liner for pond made on site using TPO. I was very close to have a Butyl liner made, a template is made and then the liner is made in a factory and I then fit. Butyl would have been nice, but having the TPO fabricated on site takes away some stress.🤞

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
tpo is some tuff stuff HEAT WELDED? LOTS AND LOTS OF CUTS ON THIS PROJECT . i'm sure now you understand why there are so few rounded edges on ponds . i sure hope your mason was using a wet saw and not dry cutting. GOING TO ENJOY SEEING THIS RUN. do us a favor a video one of the welds on seeming TPO AND HOW THEY MOUNT IT TO THE WALLS BULKED ETC
r

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
tpo is some tuff stuff HEAT WELDED? LOTS AND LOTS OF CUTS ON THIS PROJECT . i'm sure now you understand why there are so few rounded edges on ponds . i sure hope your mason was using a wet saw and not dry cutting. GOING TO ENJOY SEEING THIS RUN. do us a favor a video one of the welds on seeming TPO AND HOW THEY MOUNT IT TO THE WALLS BULKED ETC
r
I will try.

I didn't mention but the tpo quote was less than the butyl, so a bit of a no brainer for me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An update: We are getting a TPO liner made for the main pond, it's nearly done now, just a few bits to finish off.
IMG20240423152705.jpg

IMG20240423152715.jpg

We have also prepared the base of the bog filter ready to fit the liner, the base was dug slightly to deep, to the depth on the channel, so I have backfilled with sand and now I've got to try to get the formwork out without the sand collapsing. I've just realised I should have made the formwork wider and it could of stayed in.

IMG20240423152727.jpg

One problem we have, we did anticipate it, the water table is already lifting the liner. I dope it won't be a problem as we have built a type of "French drain" under the liner to help remove any water pressure build up. so when pond is filled we shouldn't see the problem.

So i hope to get the bog liner in in the next day or so

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
An update: We are getting a TPO liner made for the main pond, it's nearly done now, just a few bits to finish off.
View attachment 162877
View attachment 162878

We have also prepared the base of the bog filter ready to fit the liner, the base was dug slightly to deep, to the depth on the channel, so I have backfilled with sand and now I've got to try to get the formwork out without the sand collapsing. I've just realised I should have made the formwork wider and it could of stayed in.

View attachment 162879

One problem we have, we did anticipate it, the water table is already lifting the liner. I dope it won't be a problem as we have built a type of "French drain" under the liner to help remove any water pressure build up. so when pond is filled we shouldn't see the problem.

I had to look up TPO liner and wow I found all this info on all kinds of different types of liners: https://www.ecogeox.com/resources/introduction-to-geomembrane-types-uses-and-application.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 162877
View attachment 162878

View attachment 162879

Very cool seeing this come together.

Glad we talked about the drain tile.

If the water is lifting the base and it may be a while yet before add water. it might be worth digging a pit and place a sump where the drain tile comes out from under the pond and throw a quick sump pump in it. Prevent it from doing any damage or wrinkles.

What are you about three weeks till your up and running ?

Don't know if this bloke is close to you or if you already saw this post but here is someone looking to rehome some fish on your side of the pond https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/free-fish-to-rehome.28582/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very cool seeing this come together.

Glad we talked about the drain tile.

If the water is lifting the base and it may be a while yet before add water. it might be worth digging a pit and place a sump where the drain tile comes out from under the pond and throw a quick sump pump in it. Prevent it from doing any damage or wrinkles.

What are you about three weeks till your up and running ?

Don't know if this bloke is close to you or if you already saw this post but here is someone looking to rehome some fish on your side of the pond https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/free-fish-to-rehome.28582/

It's starting to come together, but it will still take some time as I need to buy quite a few things and now it's just me working on it.

The bottom drains have not been sealed to the liner yet, so can drain from there at the moment. The nice thing the TPO is thick so it doesn't crease as such, but I may look at sinking a pit for a pump, the ground is horrible clay with stones, it makes really tough digging.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My concern then is keeping the tpo clean to make the bond latter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My concern then is keeping the tpo clean to make the bond latter
I had a lesson from the fitter, his main tip was to ensure all is dry when bonding to the bottom drains, he said even though the mastic says it bond in the wet, don't believe it.

Ask a Question