Seeking Expert Advice: Building a Natural Ecosystem Pond for Koi

Reaction score
Country
India
🌱🐟 Seeking Expert Advice: Building a Natural Ecosystem Pond for Koi 🐟🌱

Hey everyone!

I'm excited to embark on a journey to create a beautiful natural ecosystem pond, and I could really use your valuable insights and expertise. 🏞️🌿

Here's what I'm working with:

Location: I'm based in India and want to create a stunning pond in my space.
Temperature Variations: Our winters can get as chilly as 3Β°C, while summers sizzle at around 45Β°C. So, I need to ensure my pond is well-suited for these fluctuations.
Space: I have a maximum of 200 sq feet to work with, and I'm open to any creative shape suggestions.
Natural Approach: I'm really passionate about a natural ecosystem pond and would prefer to avoid traditional filtration systems.
If you've got experience with creating and maintaining natural ponds or if you're a Koi enthusiast, your advice would be invaluable to me. πŸ™ Whether it's about selecting the right plants, balancing the ecosystem, managing temperature changes, or even tips for harmoniously housing Koi in this environment – I'm all ears!

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas, and any insights you might have. Pictures of your own setups or resources you recommend would be greatly appreciated. Let's make this pond a paradise for both the Koi and the environment!

Thank you in advance for being an amazing and supportive community. 🌎🐠 Let's create something truly special together! πŸ’«

#EcosystemPond #KoiEnthusiast #NaturalBeauty #DIYpond #ExpertAdviceNeeded

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

A lot of good info on the forum!

Filtration look at the bog filtration systems a lot of us use.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Recommend @addy1 advice above! Do you have a β€œlook” in mind? Are you wanting to go with a style that mimics your local climate and environment? Please give us more information.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome-3.gif
@Mehtavish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Hey everyone!

I'm excited to embark on a journey to create a beautiful natural ecosystem pond, and I could really use your valuable insights and expertise. 🏞️🌿

Temperature Variations: Our winters can get as chilly as 3Β°C, while summers sizzle at around 45Β°C. So, I need to ensure my pond is well-suited for these fluctuations.
Space: I have a maximum of 200 sq feet to work with, and I'm open to any creative shape suggestions.
Natural Approach: I'm really passionate about a natural ecosystem pond and would prefer to avoid traditional filtration systems.
If you've got experience with creating and maintaining natural ponds or if you're a Koi enthusiast, your advice would be invaluable to me. πŸ™ Whether it's about selecting the right plants, balancing the ecosystem, managing temperature changes, or even tips for harmoniously housing Koi in this environment – I'm all ears!

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas, and any insights you might have. Pictures of your own setups or resources you recommend would be greatly appreciated. Let's make this pond a paradise for both the Koi and the environment!

Thank you in advance for being an amazing and supportive community. 🌎🐠 Let's create something truly special together! πŸ’«

10 X 20 INCLUDING THE FILTER AREA IS ON THE SMALL SIDE for koi but if your are as passionate as you seem it can be doable but i would limit how many koi to only a couple. The more volume in a pond the easier the success you'll enjoy.
this will give you some reading for a while and will give you a boost to the world of building your own. there's still much more out there but it's a good start https://www.gardenpondforum.com/sho...r-2023-12-000-gallon-koi-pond-full-build.141/

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello and welcome. Recommend @addy1 advice above! Do you have a β€œlook” in mind? Are you wanting to go with a style that mimics your local climate and environment? Please give us more information.
Yes I do want to mimic local style

Reaction score
Country
India
Welcome to the forum!

A lot of good info on the forum!

Filtration look at the bog filtration systems a lot us use.

thanks a ton

Reaction score
Country
India
10 X 20 INCLUDING THE FILTER AREA IS ON THE SMALL SIDE for koi but if your are as passionate as you seem it can be doable but i would limit how many koi to only a couple. The more volume in a pond the easier the success you'll enjoy.
this will give you some reading for a while and will give you a boost to the world of building your own. there's still much more out there but it's a good start https://www.gardenpondforum.com/sho...r-2023-12-000-gallon-koi-pond-full-build.141/
Thank yo very much for details. What if i will increase the are up to 400 sq feet? can i than increase no of kois to may be 5

Reaction score
Country
India
Don't recognize the flag so hard to say what your area local style is most here are in America
Mainly, Low rise mountains and a lot of greenery around. some things similar to attached pics

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-04 at 9.43.53 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-04 at 9.43.53 PM.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 14

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't recognize the flag so hard to say what your area local style is most here are in America
If you hold your mouse pointer over the flag it says India, but maybe if you are on a cell phone you can't do that? I don't have a cell phone at all so can't try it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well you guessed correctly I was looking through my cell phone.
What no cell dangggggg.. old dog ........
They are after you kind

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank yo very much for details. What if i will increase the are up to 400 sq feet? can i than increase no of kois to may be 5
Don't get me wrong if you are a good Stewart to your fish the averages get thrown out the window it's all in how much time you spend doing so. Fir most if they spend 8 hours a week feeding they are happy but if they have to clean filters for 2 hours a week that's a deal breaker.

So it's all in what you build what you expect and what you'll live with.

Just keep in mind a 24 inch koi in a 48 inch pond is like being in jail.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You mean something like this ?
Yes . You can always make the pond deep . The more water the easier to keep the set up stable

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Hey everyone!

Hi and welcome. There is so much information on the forum you can scroll through various threads to get ideas. There is also a showcase section that people have been gracious enough to show how they built their ponds. If you have particular questions people will be glad to help. I’m curious what part of India you are in because it’s such a big country. I have been to the northern part but have not seen much of it because it’s so large.If you want to raise Koi I would recommend to start with small ones in the range of 5-6 inches ( 10 -12cm?) and you can learn as they grow in your pond. Also they will be much more affordable . Most of mine started at that size and they are 12-20 inches just a few years later! Good luck!

Ask a Question