New Pond Built Using Sleepers

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've recently built a small garden pond using landscaping sleepers. This is the first pond I have built and I am quite pleased with the result...

Laying out the sleepers
The sleepers are 2.4m in length with the pond width being half a sleeper. So with a 10cm overlap the surface area of the pond will be 2.3m x 1.1m

Pond%201.jpg

Starting the dig
The plan is to build the sleepers two high (40cm) and dig to a maximum depth of 60cm giving a maximum overall depth of 1m. Average depth will be about 75cm giving a total water volume of about 1,900 litres (518 gallons).
Pond%203.jpg

Bog Filter / Waterfall
I cut out the bottom of an old preformed pond in order to create a bog filter/waterfall.
Pond%204.jpg

Almost complete
Pond%208.jpg

Filter Box

I used some left over decking boards to create a filter box to hide the bio-filter.
Pond%2010.jpg

Happy Fish
The fish seem to be happy in there.
Pond%2014.jpg

Pond%2024.jpg

Finally Complete :)
Pond%2035.jpg

I would welcome any comments that you might have.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That looks excellent sharky, good work! Where in the world are you?

Oh and welcome aboard (y)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome!

That's a nice job! My only comment would be regarding the size of the pond and the number of fish you have. Be sure you closely monitor your water quality: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, & KH.

Reaction score
I am currently testing the water weekly and everything is ok at the moment. I realise it is probably slightly overstocked but I am hopeful that the 5000 lph pump feeding the bog filter and the 3500 lph pump feeding the bio-filter will help keep the water quality ok.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and that is really neat looking and it looks like you matched it to your fence and landscaping to keep it consistent

Reaction score
The frames are 32mm 'solvent weld' waste pipe to which I have attached the cover netting using plastic cable ties. Really cheap and easy to make but look quite good.

Ask a Question