New Pond Construction

Reaction score
Country
United States
C53BABF5-15E5-401F-A5E8-74065E31AD34.jpeg
7794E107-0A88-40BD-8ADD-9766B3967672.jpeg

Hi guys, the pond has been running for a little over a month now. I’m starting to get some algae on the rocks in the deeper parts of the pond. in my 15” deep stream there is non. I would have assumed that algae would have been worse in the shallow stream. What can I do to prevent the algae and what’s the best method to remove it other than go for a swim and scrub it off?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
View attachment 159822View attachment 159823
Hi guys, the pond has been running for a little over a month now. I’m starting to get some algae on the rocks in the deeper parts of the pond. in my 15” deep stream there is non. I would have assumed that algae would have been worse in the shallow stream. What can I do to prevent the algae and what’s the best method to remove it other than go for a swim and scrub it off?
That's a pretty pot of lotus. I seem to get most of my string algae in the shallow water of the bog and the waterfall and I use a toilet brush to gather and remove it. Course I have to try to not gather up the tadpoles along with it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also use a toilet brush for string algae removal. Works well.
is it string algae? It doesn’t get much bigger than that(about 2 inches max most of it is like 1/2 to 1 inch) . The little bit of string algae I get in the bog is long and stringy lol( like 2-3 feet long)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
is it string algae? It doesn’t get much bigger than that(about 2 inches max most of it is like 1/2 to 1 inch) . The little bit of string algae I get in the bog is long and stringy lol( like 2-3 feet long)
If this is short carpet type algae this is the good stuff you want to keep. It grows on the sides of the pond and rocks etc. You can't stop it and it helps w/water quality and the fish love it. It's a very natural process.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have built a pond with a reasonably size filter even if it is sufficient and running well . you are going to get green water the amount and duration is the unknown. and hair algae again its a given its coming it depends greatly on how good the filter / the design of the pond and bio load is . this will be around until the pond cycles and balances out. dumping chemicals is lack of patience and or design in the overall pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, it's the long and stringy type.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you, makes sense i will plan on putting drains in then.
I still have a couple low edges at the patio that weeps into the pond but only through the cracks of the spaces of the patio so while most of the water runs away there is some that gets in. The patio was built before the pond and of course all the water from the patio was pitched deliberately to where the pond is now not knowing i would build a pond there a year latter. My solution was to lift the pavers and simply pitch them back toward the patio so it runs off to a side instead.
If your patio is concrete you could do a stone walk way between the two and pitch the stone away from the pond if you cut a couple stones into the patio
so it looks like the patio was built around the stone it will make the pond look like it was always there

it could be and does look like it string algae while it can become 5 feet long it will start off a fuzz on rocks and other items in the pond

Ask a Question