New pond help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New house, new issues.

I've just acquired my first pond, thought nothing more of it as we only moved in last weekend. I noticed yesterday that there's goldfish in it so i'm looking to clean it up. Its also loaded with underwater snails, pond skaters and when we viewed the house baby frogs.

Its an unfiltered pond and I've got a solar pond pump on the way.

Can anyone tell me if this green stuff is something i should be removing or if its one of those many oxygenating plants I've been reading about but no idea what they look like?

The Lilly Pads, do i have to do anything with them or do i just wait until next spring/summer and remove the clearly dead leaves when the new ones come through?

Also, am i supposed to scrape up as much mess from the bottom of the pond as i can with net or not?

ta

Pond1.jpg
Pond2.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Ianthenut ! Soon you will be Ian the POND nut!

The first photo is string algae - you can remove that by hand and toss it in your garden or compost pile. But more importantly than what to do with it is to understand why it's there - when you have excess algae (and I would definitely call that "excess") it's a sign of too many nutrients in the pond. This can be the result of overfeeding fish, too many fish, or too much organic material being left to decay in the pond - like all those lily pads for example! So the algae is really beneficial both as a marker that you have an issue and as a solution to the issue it's pointing to. Resolve the issue and the algae will go away on it's own.

Which leads to your second question - yes, scoop whatever you can from the bottom of the pond and cut back and remove all the lily pads that are dying or dead. Before winter you'll want to cut them all back so none are left to rot in the pond and add to the organic load in the pond.

How much debris is in the bottom of the pond? If it's really thick, you'll want to remove it slowly as it can release harmful gasses into the pond. But if you can scoop and see the bottom easily, scoop away!

Tell us a bit more about the pond - how many gallons? How many fish would you guess? You said it's unfiltered - some aeration would help with the algae and overall water quality for the fish. A simple airstone with a pump would add aeration.

Again - welcome! You'll find lots of helpful, friendly pond people here ready to answer any questions you might have!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Thanks @Lisak1 you saved me a lot of typing I was just going to say the same :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Cheers for the replies, I've ripped out a majority of the string algae throwing back all the pond snails as they apparently eat the stuff, i'm yet to clean the string algae on the sides just above the water level, I've ripped out all the Water Lilies that were yellowing leaving stems about 2-3 inches long and put in a solar powered oxygenator/air pump but looking at it i may add another one.

The pond itself is about 8ft by 3ft. It has a built in shelf inside both curved edges and is about 3ft deep in the middle, i have absolutely no idea how many gallons it is.

There was one goldfish in the pond, about 5 inches long, we bought another 4 that are 3 inches long. Unsurprisingly, I haven't seen them since yesterday.

I plan to get more plants to put in the pond to help with keeping the water clean and some fish caves should the local Herons try their luck, maybe some more fish if the pond is suitable.

I've also read that i should stop feeding the fish now and just leave a wheatgerm stick for them.

Is there anything else i should do to get the pond in shape?

Ta

Pond 6.jpg
Pond 4.jpg
Pond 5.jpg
Pond 3.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I suggest a net if you have seen Heron around your area cuz as soon as they see those colored fish when they fly by they will clean out your pond of fish. Even caves etc. won't stop that bird. They are so patient they can stand there forever and wait till the fish feel secure enough to come out from hiding. I tried everything else and finally had to add a net.

Before the net:
IMG_1267.JPG

After the net:
I took this photo recently and he came for a visit but just paces around the edge of the pond now and can't get in.
IMG_8704.JPG

Here is my netted pond:
The net hangs down and connects to a wire fence all around the edge of the pond. It's a shame to have to do all this but nothing else worked to keep him out.
IMG_8707.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you add more water up to the edge? Does it hold the water i.e. no leak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Filled it up today! lets find out...
Hi and welcome! I wouldn't get another solar pump. You want it to run 24/7 and I doubt that pump will do that. If you want a very energy efficient pump I would look into Laguna pumps. I don't recommend you add any more fish then what you just bought until you have used a test kit and monitor your water readings for a while. All your readings should be very good and algae should be greatly reduced when your water quality is good.
Welcome @Ianthenut ! Soon you will be Ian the POND nut!

The first photo is string algae - you can remove that by hand and toss it in your garden or compost pile. But more importantly than what to do with it is to understand why it's there - when you have excess algae (and I would definitely call that "excess") it's a sign of too many nutrients in the pond. This can be the result of overfeeding fish, too many fish, or too much organic material being left to decay in the pond - like all those lily pads for example! So the algae is really beneficial both as a marker that you have an issue and as a solution to the issue it's pointing to. Resolve the issue and the algae will go away on it's own.

Which leads to your second question - yes, scoop whatever you can from the bottom of the pond and cut back and remove all the lily pads that are dying or dead. Before winter you'll want to cut them all back so none are left to rot in the pond and add to the organic load in the pond.

How much debris is in the bottom of the pond? If it's really thick, you'll want to remove it slowly as it can release harmful gasses into the pond. But if you can scoop and see the bottom easily, scoop away!

Tell us a bit more about the pond - how many gallons? How many fish would you guess? You said it's unfiltered - some aeration would help with the algae and overall water quality for the fish. A simple airstone with a pump would add aeration.

Again - welcome! You'll find lots of helpful, friendly pond people here ready to answer any questions you might have!
Lisa. It's funny how we all seem to agree on this stuff. In my opinion you couldn't have been any more right on. In a way I miss some of the characters that used to be on GPF that would argue over almost everything!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In a way I miss some of the characters that used to be on GPF that would argue over almost everything

We did have some rousing debates from time to time! I love a good back and forth, as long as it doesn't get personal. It seems anymore that people can't disagree on any topic without someone either getting nasty or offended.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We did have some rousing debates from time to time! I love a good back and forth, as long as it doesn't get personal. It seems anymore that people can't disagree on any topic without someone either getting nasty or offended.
You have to be able to debate, disagree without taking it as a personal attack. There are those that, if you disagree with their view, they see it as a attack on their thoughts, intelligence, etc. And then they start the nasty typing.

I prefer them not around, makes the forum friendlier, others are not afraid then to have a different view that they can express. Knowing the attack won't happen.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You have to be able to debate, disagree without taking it as a personal attack. There are those that, if you disagree with their view, they see it as a attack on their thoughts, intelligence, etc. And then they start the nasty typing.

I prefer them not around, makes the forum friendlier, others are not afraid then to have a different view that they can express. Knowing the attack won't happen.
And.....you have to know when it’s appropriate to not have the last word! Sometimes just not responding is the best response!

Ask a Question