sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep found out when barely breaks down it is peroxide so why not skip the mess and go for the gold ,or should I say peroxide .Faster easier and cheaper .

Reaction score
The barley - peroxide myth.

To original poster...I'd be interested in your water temps. If sun it hitting that concrete and transferring heat to that small body of water temp could be a problem.

It sounded like you only wanted fish to control mosquitoes. If you don't really want fish there are more options. Like filling the basin with rock or gravel to make a pondless water feature. That would also take care of the algae.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Isee, I should probably make a DIY sponge filter that connects with the inlet , Im not sure if I can find that here. What do you guys think of barley ? Does it work ?

The pond is around 180 gallons ( more like 150 gallons because of the water loss daily ) and I'm planning to leave just 4 common goldfish there.

a. I'm worried about the waterloss in the pond , I'm not sure if there's a leak in the concrete or maybe it's because of the fountain running often ( evaporation ) ? Or should I install an aerator ?

b. If I don't check the ammonia levels and clean the water out of my pond every 15 - 20 days , will my fishes be ok ? I use chlorinated tap water , if I don't dechlorinate it is it safe ?

c. What kind of plants should i put ?

d. If I put gravel or sand , will I have a diffculty when cleaning the pond incase the algae grows ?
a) turn the fountain off, put a aerator in the water for the fish and see if the water level drops as fast.

b ) you need to dechlor the water if you have fish in the pond

c) depends on the look you want, floating plants, above the water plants.

d) I prefer a empty bottom pond easier to clean, others like rocks, some like gravel

Ask a Question