New pond with no fish has gone milky colour?!

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I did a little research and found that the foam is caused by dissolved organic compounds, (sometimes referred to as DOC). Often times it is caused by phosphate but also proteins and amino acids are also common causes. Did you wash the pond liner, anything else with soap or possibly the pond liner was contaminated with a detergent from the supplier? Maybe it came from the deck material? Manually remove as much as you easily can and mechanical filtration should get most of it and @Meyer Jordan can chime in here please, but I believe that once the bacteria get established they will help to process it. I might be a little concerned of contaminating any plastic or ceramic type of biological media, stone I wouldn't worry much about. I've seen it often where water exits into culverts, it is also present when making stock (cooking). Chef's skim it off with a large spoon and protein skimmers remove it in marine aquariums.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I did a little research and found that the foam is caused by dissolved organic compounds, (sometimes referred to as DOC). Often times it is caused by phosphate but also proteins and amino acids are also common causes. Did you wash the pond liner, anything else with soap or possibly the pond liner was contaminated with a detergent from the supplier? Maybe it came from the deck material? Manually remove as much as you easily can and mechanical filtration should get most of it and @Meyer Jordan can chime in here please, but I believe that once the bacteria get established they will help to process it. I might be a little concerned of contaminating any plastic or ceramic type of biological media, stone I wouldn't worry much about. I've seen it often where water exits into culverts, it is also present when making stock (cooking). Chef's skim it off with a large spoon and protein skimmers remove it in marine aquariums.

I would agree with you if it were not for a couple of things. Dissolve organics (tannins, phenols etc) are present in all established ponds. It is usually higher in ponds that have fish as opposed to Water Gardens, although decaying plant foliage is a source.
Since @Michaellats1993 has yet to add fish (see opening post) and no aquatic plantings where mentioned and that this is a new pond, it is highly unlikely to have an organic load sufficient to support the development of foam. DOC (which stands for Dissolved Organic Carbon) could be present at sufficient levels for the reason aforementioned.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond is 14ft x 5ft x 4ft deep.
Worked out to be around the 2000 gallons mark, i didnt rinse the filter cartridges before i used them, i installed the liner without washing or cleaning, nothing has been added.

My filter is the proficlear premium compact EGC. I have around 15-20 litres of bio media in the chamber, i havnt added any gel or starter kit to the filter as of yet. @Meyer Jordan

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This morning after letting it run without the UV light on, i must say the water is clearer, i can see to the bottom of the pond but still have lots of the pond covered with this annoying white stuff. Pictures to show you ....

Attachments

• IMG_4259.JPG
    IMG_4259.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_4260.JPG
    IMG_4260.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just one of the PVC liners they sell instore, i wouldnt say its slimey no. I put it under the microscope and it seems to be sawdust and other bits of debris

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Apparently the liner that you purchased was heavily coated with some sort of powder. Pond liner has such a coating but it is very thin and does not affect water quality or clarity. By chance, since you bought this in a store, was this roofing EPDM. It would be a possible explanation for the heavy powder coating. Whatever it is, it acted as a substrate for planktonic biofilm deveopment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently the liner that you purchased was heavily coated with some sort of powder. Pond liner has such a coating but it is very thin and does not affect water quality or clarity. By chance, since you bought this in a store, was this roofing EPDM. It would be a possible explanation for the heavy powder coating. Whatever it is, it acted as a substrate for planktonic biofilm deveopment
It wasnt roofing EPDM no, after cleaning my filter out and draining everything it had lots of bloodworm in there and a hell of a lot of sawdust/dirt. More than likely self inflicted from building activity from me around the pond

Ask a Question