New Pond'r from New Jersey

Reaction score
We are making progress... Thought I'd post some more pic's. We began getting the filtering tanks connected in the filter pit. Fininished the plumbing on the waterfall tank and finally put down the underlayment and liner, man that liner was heavy! We then made the connnection to the bottom drain, a little scary cutting a hole in the brand new liner. all went well though. We have a couple more plumbing connections to make, before we can start adding water this weekend. Once I know the total gallons I will order the pump, and I still need to install and plumb in the skimmer tank. It would sure be nice to get a couple of fish in it before the winter. :razz:

Attachments

• 1 Settling tank connection.JPG
    1 Settling tank connection.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 567
  • 2 settling to mech-bio tank connections.JPG
    2 settling to mech-bio tank connections.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 561
  • 3 settling to mech-bio tank connections 2.JPG
    3 settling to mech-bio tank connections 2.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 629
  • 4 Waterfall tank construct 1.JPG
    4 Waterfall tank construct 1.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 630
  • 5 Waterfall tank construct 2.JPG
    5 Waterfall tank construct 2.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 6 Waterfall tank construct 3.JPG
    6 Waterfall tank construct 3.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 614
  • 7 Waterfall tank construct 4.JPG
    7 Waterfall tank construct 4.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 773
  • 8 Waterfall tank construct 5.JPG
    8 Waterfall tank construct 5.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 6,553
  • 9 Waterfall tank construct 6.JPG
    9 Waterfall tank construct 6.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 677
  • 9a Waterfall tank construct 7.JPG
    9a Waterfall tank construct 7.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 635
  • 9b all done digging....JPG
    9b all done digging....JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 632
  • 9c Underlayment 1.JPG
    9c Underlayment 1.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 638
  • 9d -The 20x25 EPDM liner.JPG
    9d -The 20x25 EPDM liner.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 557
  • 9d Underlayment 2.JPG
    9d Underlayment 2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 600
  • 9e Rolling out the liner.JPG
    9e Rolling out the liner.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 576
  • 9f The Liner is in!.JPG
    9f The Liner is in!.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 624
  • 9g Bottom Drain 1.JPG
    9g Bottom Drain 1.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 585
  • 9h Bottom Drain 2.JPG
    9h Bottom Drain 2.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 611
  • 9i Bottom Drain 3.JPG
    9i Bottom Drain 3.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 556
Reaction score
WOW!! Welcome to the forum and again, WOW!! What a great project! Great pictures you're taking, too...I love the way you made the waterfall weir, so cool!
You will get a lot of help here, I've had a pond for eight years and haven't seen the bottom yet, until today, thanks to the helpful people in this pond forum.
One small suggestion from me though, if you do put in some fish this year, just put in a few goldfish. The only fish I have lost were Koi that I put in, in the Fall and they were dead in the Spring. I've read that new fish should be introduced in late Spring or Summer so they have an adjustment time before the Winter freeze. When I first started my pond, I only wanted Koi, the neighbor kid put some goldfish in and they multiplied like rabbits to the 10th power!
We did empty the pond to fix a cave in, in June and took all the goldfish to the fish store and kept the 9 Koi. They spawned and now I have an aquarium full of baby Koi and still more in the pond.
Keep the pictures coming!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great job! I agree with baeya, I would wait for spring to put fish in.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like how you cut that part out of another tote for your waterfall and never thought of that great idea to pass on thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess you made it through the rains and hope the rain stops up there before I had up that way again in another week .

Reaction score
I hope the tote idea for the waterfall works out, I may need to enlarge the weir opening, depending on what kind of flow rate I end up with. We did ok with the rain, no water in the house, but the rain soaked soil and high winds took down an 80 foot oak tree. It just reached the back of the pond waterfall, missed the pool, but smashed the pool filter unfortunately. thank goodness for home insurance.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 293

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow PPonds you got quite lucky on that one. Glad no more damage than the filter and no one got hurt or your house!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Forgot to say how cool of a deal you got going w/ your recent project when I saw that tree fall photo!

Reaction score
Progress...not a ton but none the less, progress. Finished the remote skimmer work and topped off the pond. Also finished the liner work on the waterfall. Total Gallons on the pond once we have all the filtering containers full will be about 1900 gallons. Hope to complete all the rock work next weekend, and get at least one pump ordered this week.

Remote Skimmer Trough.JPGTopping off the Pond.JPGRemote skimmer filling up.JPGWaterfall waiting for rock.JPGAlmost full....JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Coming along nicely and you may have it done just in time for the first big freeze, lol! Well you will be all ready for next Spring to start putting in plants and fish and sitting by your nice finished pond sipping your lemonade in the warmth of the sun!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It always takes a lot of time, more than you ever would think. But nice feeling when you can sit and look at your pond and say I did that.

Reaction score
Slow and steady wins the race, I hope. Still going although the weather is turning colder, chance of snow this weekend.
Finally completed the needed plumbing in the filter pit and purchased a pump to get the water from the filters to the waterfall. The pump flow was more then I anticipated and the waterfall looked a little bit like roaring rapids. I had planned on two pumps for the the two different filtering paths, but the single pump will handle them both and then some.
We still have to complete the rock work around the pond and on the waterfall. and I will be plumbing in a used pool pump I picked up to handle the task of pumping out the waste from each of the tanks.
With any luck we'll complete the rock work just in time to winterize the pond. :razz:

Pond with falls 1.JPGPond with falls 2.JPGFilter pit plumbed.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is really looking nice. Thanks for sharing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome back and you are really going to filter that water huh .Have you decided on your filter media and geeze see your still cheating as your still working under the tarp LOL

Reaction score
LOL about the tarp, it has served us well so far and even survived huricane Irene. It is currently helping with the leaves, but I will have it down before any significant snow fall is forecast.
I actually didn't realize that the filter can be optional on ponds until recently, but I am going to filter it, I have a skimmer in place that I thought would help keep the leaves under control. I have a settling tank that the bottom drain feeds, which I also thought would be helpful. I haven't decided on a filter media other than reading about the use of floor cleaning pads for mechanical filtration. I also have a tank at the top of the falls that could receive some type of bio-media. I take it you don't use a filter in your pond sissy?

Ask a Question