addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I would pay for the light bulb rather than deal with a frozen door.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
spray the door jamb with wd 40 it should help keep it from freezing a little .If not you can use spray deicer like you use on your car wind shield .

Reaction score
I’ll probably be using same system I used on the greenhouse door, and that is to make a sort of removable door out of Styrofoam that fits tight inside the door opening. It insulates from the cold and blocks the moisture from condensing around the door. I’m just too cheap to drive my truck into town to buy the Styrofoam. The gas for the trip will cost me more than the Styrofoam board, and probably more than I would pay for electricity to run that bulb for 2 years. LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ask any one for stuff that was packed in styrofoam maybe that will help for now .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I bet lots of neighbors will be throwing away lots of Styrofoam during Christmas from all the packages.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You got that right...........I ain't proud! If somebody's throwing something away and I think I can use it then it's mine baby,lol!

Reaction score
I recycle lots of stuff, but small odd shaped pieces of Styrofoam would be hard (nearly impossible), to make into solid tight fitting door.
I’ll eventually have to run into town with my truck for something else, then I’ll be able to justify picking up a proper foam board, till then I’ll just watch the weather forecast. If it looks like it’s gona get cold, or I go away for a while, I’ll turn on the light bulb.

I was checking things out in that room today for a bit, realized I forgot to drain my pump when I drained tanks and lines. That could have cost be a pump. The pump even has an easy to use built in drain plug on the front of the impeller chamber too.

Reaction score
Pond is officially 'winterized'. I cut the pool noodle in sections and wrapped them in a plastic bag, then put both into the bottom drain pipe and closed the 4" gate valve, the water was numbing!
Here is the latest state of the rock work around the pond, almost there... (Sissy, the main tarp is finally down)
IMG_0504.JPG
I'm currently working on getting a deck together to cover the filter pit, it will be waterproof and hinge up in two different sections.
IMG_0613.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good there, that will be a nice filter area when you are done

Reaction score
The hindged deck idea looks good. You could probably insulate the deck floor too, that would help keep the worst of the cold from getting to that drain pipe.

Today I tried to open the door to my pump room and it was stuck a bit with ice. I better get on that.

Reaction score
PP, the hole with the filters, what's the cement wall connected to? Looks like a foundation wall and you're all the way down to the footing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
odd as most houses in NJ have basements ,except by the shore area's as it is to sandy

Reaction score
[sub]WaterBug, yes the filter pit is right up against the foundation and pretty much at the footing, the house is a raised ranch, so the basement is only partially in the ground, maybe 4 feet. [/sub]
[sub]The ground is sandy soil but we are about 25 miles inland from the beach and thankfully do not have any issues with water in the basement. [/sub]

[sub]I just about finished the decking, ended up one board short and need to make another trip to Lowes... here are the latest pic's. [/sub]

Attachments

• IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG