New Pond'r from New Jersey

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PonderingPonds, Aug 11, 2011.

1. PonderingPonds

Mucky_Waters

PP did you get your pond system winterized yet. Did you get that noodle in there? lol
    I did get my gate valve to shut off the water (think I left another valve open somewhere last time), but I think I'm going to go the electric heat cord too.

Mucky_Waters, Nov 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. PonderingPonds

Oldhead

Looking good

Oldhead, Nov 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. PonderingPonds

Mucky_Waters

PP I know you do get some cold weather in NJ and I am curious how you winterized your pond. Did the noodle thing work out at the gate valve? did you get any hard freezing weather there yet?

Mucky_Waters, Dec 2, 2011
  4. PonderingPonds

PonderingPonds

[sub]Mucky Waters, I think I am going to go one more week before I winterize it. I have a little more rock work to do and am enjoying the waterfall effect. I am working on getting a cover on the filter pit currently. I do have the pool noodle ready and have wrapped the exposed bottom drain pipe with the heater wire. I'll keep you posted. did you winterize yours yet? [/sub]

PonderingPonds, Dec 5, 2011
  5. PonderingPonds

Mucky_Waters

Yep, pond is winterized. If fact I was walking on top of my pond in the moonlight last night, it has a good 2 inches of ice on the surface.
    The main 3” knife valve held ok and I was able to drain all the tanks as planed. Temperatures have been well below freezing, and the insulated filter tank room has been staying a few degrees above freezing, but then it hasn’t gotten real cold here yet either. I have a light bulb suspended just above the exit pipes and valves that hold water and are at risk of freezing. When the temps get real cold I plan to just turn that light bulb on to spot warm the pipes and keep them from freezing.
    I only have one thing that I am a little bit worried about. There has been considerable condensation on the filter room door. Because of the moisture in the filter room and the cold outside, I get a lot of moisture condensing inside the metal door, mainly around the top edges and the door knob. My worry is that when it gets real cold that moisture might freeze and seal up the door and I won’t be able to open it. This happen to a door inside a greenhouse I once had. If this happens in this filter room door before I have a chance to turn the light on I might have a bit of a problem.
    I suppose I should just leave the light on now, even though I don’t need it, but I’m too cheap to pay the electric bill for that 75 watt bulb. :banghead3:

Mucky_Waters, Dec 7, 2011
  6. PonderingPonds

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

lol I would pay for the light bulb rather than deal with a frozen door.

addy1, Dec 7, 2011
  7. PonderingPonds

sissy sissy

spray the door jamb with wd 40 it should help keep it from freezing a little .If not you can use spray deicer like you use on your car wind shield .

sissy, Dec 7, 2011
  8. PonderingPonds

Mucky_Waters

I’ll probably be using same system I used on the greenhouse door, and that is to make a sort of removable door out of Styrofoam that fits tight inside the door opening. It insulates from the cold and blocks the moisture from condensing around the door. I’m just too cheap to drive my truck into town to buy the Styrofoam. The gas for the trip will cost me more than the Styrofoam board, and probably more than I would pay for electricity to run that bulb for 2 years. LOL

Mucky_Waters, Dec 7, 2011
  9. PonderingPonds

sissy sissy

ask any one for stuff that was packed in styrofoam maybe that will help for now .

sissy, Dec 7, 2011
  10. PonderingPonds

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yep I bet lots of neighbors will be throwing away lots of Styrofoam during Christmas from all the packages.

j.w, Dec 8, 2011
  11. PonderingPonds

can't recycle it either

addy1, Dec 8, 2011
  12. PonderingPonds

sissy sissy

just do like jw does walk along a pick pick pick .

sissy, Dec 8, 2011
  13. PonderingPonds

j.w I Love my Goldies

You got that right...........I ain't proud! If somebody's throwing something away and I think I can use it then it's mine baby,lol!

j.w, Dec 8, 2011
  14. PonderingPonds

Mucky_Waters

I recycle lots of stuff, but small odd shaped pieces of Styrofoam would be hard (nearly impossible), to make into solid tight fitting door.
    I’ll eventually have to run into town with my truck for something else, then I’ll be able to justify picking up a proper foam board, till then I’ll just watch the weather forecast. If it looks like it’s gona get cold, or I go away for a while, I’ll turn on the light bulb.

I was checking things out in that room today for a bit, realized I forgot to drain my pump when I drained tanks and lines. That could have cost be a pump. The pump even has an easy to use built in drain plug on the front of the impeller chamber too.

Mucky_Waters, Dec 8, 2011
  15. PonderingPonds

PonderingPonds

Pond is officially 'winterized'. I cut the pool noodle in sections and wrapped them in a plastic bag, then put both into the bottom drain pipe and closed the 4" gate valve, the water was numbing!
    Here is the latest state of the rock work around the pond, almost there... (Sissy, the main tarp is finally down)
    IMG_0504.JPG
    I'm currently working on getting a deck together to cover the filter pit, it will be waterproof and hinge up in two different sections.
    IMG_0613.JPG

PonderingPonds, Dec 15, 2011
  16. PonderingPonds

Looking good there, that will be a nice filter area when you are done

addy1, Dec 15, 2011
  17. PonderingPonds

Mucky_Waters

The hindged deck idea looks good. You could probably insulate the deck floor too, that would help keep the worst of the cold from getting to that drain pipe.

Today I tried to open the door to my pump room and it was stuck a bit with ice. I better get on that.

Mucky_Waters, Dec 22, 2011
  18. PonderingPonds

Waterbug

PP, the hole with the filters, what's the cement wall connected to? Looks like a foundation wall and you're all the way down to the footing.

Waterbug, Dec 25, 2011
  19. PonderingPonds

sissy sissy

odd as most houses in NJ have basements ,except by the shore area's as it is to sandy

sissy, Dec 25, 2011
  20. PonderingPonds

PonderingPonds

[sub]WaterBug, yes the filter pit is right up against the foundation and pretty much at the footing, the house is a raised ranch, so the basement is only partially in the ground, maybe 4 feet. [/sub]
    [sub]The ground is sandy soil but we are about 25 miles inland from the beach and thankfully do not have any issues with water in the basement. [/sub]

[sub]I just about finished the decking, ended up one board short and need to make another trip to Lowes... here are the latest pic's. [/sub]

Attached Files:

PonderingPonds, Dec 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question