New spring pond Fish dying

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
could you maybe set up a small filter out of the pond .. there are loads of diy ones on the forum and without the filter in the pond it would give the fish a little more room

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just tell fiance, that the poor lil fishes are dieing and you need to save them by digging! Better than other things that could occupy your time lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lenny, That's a tough one. Before I got married I used to write songs for my future wife and play them on the piano. As soon we got married she told me how much she always really hated my piano playing. Your fiance probably already has plans to dump concrete in the pond once you get married if she is already hinting about it being too much!
Also by the way you should have 30 inches of fish by the end of the summer = 300-600 gallon pond required.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ummmmmmmm comet is she still your wife? hope so. That usually is a bad sign ......

No way to tell you how to handle it Lenny, I would just say this is my passion and I hope you can learn to enjoy it as much as I do. Set her up a nice sitting area, if she likes a drink, set her up with a place to sit, sip tea, booze, water whatever and enjoy the sound of the water, the birds etc. Feed her a tray of snacks.

and goooooooooood luck lol

Luckily my honey cares enough he supports what I love, I support what he loves........cars lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
addy, yes still married after 18 years and we have three children 17,28, and 31. We have stuck together through a lot and I wouldn't trade it for anything. She even likes our pond a little now after thinking it was a waste of time for the first few years!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing cometkeith slowly weaning into liking the pond!
Do your kids like the pond?

My first hubby made it 20 yrs then he passed, this hubby will be with him to the end.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They all take an interest in our frog, but that's it. I think fish watching is a little too slow paced for them! My wife actually had her own fish until just recently. A Siamese fighting fish named Norman that she kept in a large vase in our house.

Reaction score
ok guys , i am thinking i have way underestimated the size of my pond ... even so i realize the fish will grow and need more room , sooooo. i shall re-set up the pond where all the features including pump and fiter sit outside the pond .. any quicky ways/ideas to do this would be appreciated , i am sure i can set the system up where each waterfall/fountain feed each other then the pond. as of now only the pipe to which the water flows into the pump/filter sits in the water but the fountains are another set up altogether , but can be made to work outside the pond and stream into the pond , actually its quite an adventure to even think about it , i am anxious to get going , i will however gladly be anticipating any suggestions from you guys before i start ...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Post pictures of your build site, current pond, drawings of ideas you have. Makes it easier for us to visualize what you have and want to do. Which makes it easier for us to give our "golden" suggestions.............lol

Reaction score
Question... and I'm new at this as well, so... maybe I'm way off, BUT...

if the pond hasn't cycled yet, and Melafix is being added weekly, isn't any BB being killed off before it can even get started? Melafix is an antibacterial medication, no?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
LuLu said:
Question... and I'm new at this as well, so... maybe I'm way off, BUT...

if the pond hasn't cycled yet, and Melafix is being added weekly, isn't any BB being killed off before it can even get started? Melafix is an antibacterial medication, no?

I would say yes but am no expert. Most medications will totally mess you bio filter up. I have just read this is a natural product for what thats worth.

Reaction score
its an extract from tea tree oil ...
i dont think it hurts anything . as for beneficial bacteria i am sure it doesn't hurt it , though it does recommend you remove carbon filter (if possible) and thats a quote ..

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yes, Melafix will damage the bacteria, not kill out totally but it will cause problems.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Melafix is a antifungal bacteria medication, IMO I would only add this to a hospital tank where the fish could be treated seperately.

Ask a Question