New to Garden Pond Forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I am Rob from Naples Fl. In addition to ponding I enjoy gardening as well as running. As a child I had aquariums, both fresh and salt water. I enjoyed raising fish and spending my allowance each week on a new critter. As an adult I still appreciate a home aquarium, although I no longer have one, my mother now uses my last tank for a guinea pig for my two boys. I enjoy taking my boys to a local nursery that sells koi out of large stock tanks. I have my best luck at buying the smallest fish usually around five dollars a pop. When I buy the bigger fish I tend to lose them to a blue Heron that visits twice a year for a few weeks at a time. Last year I purchased a large liner online and made the biggest pond I could with regard to volume. Before this I purchased small liners from Lowe's but the fish and I quickly outgrew them. I estimate the total volume to be about 6,000 gallons. I have two Skippy type filters with two 5K gallon per hour pumps. My smaller pond is about 500 gallons and I have three lilies as well as platys to eat the mosquitos. The platys are prolific breeders. I started with ten in the Spring and I am close to one hundred. I joined the forum to get ideas and share some of my knowledge with other hobbyists.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishwelcome.gif
Alvarero

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard! :regular_waving_emot Pics Please, love to see what you have going on, don't get to see many people using platy's for mosquito control, For most the water gets to cold in the winter for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you all for the kind welcome. I will attempt to post my first picture at this time. This is one of my Lilies that I split. I am still getting to know this plant with regard to how often to repot and fertilize. The first blooms this Spring were the best so far. More to come. Rob

Attachments

• 100_0004.jpg
    100_0004.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 313
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Here is are some pictures of my Koi pond. Had a small mishap over the first week of summer when a storm wind pulled one of my hoses out of the pond and the water ran out of the yard over night. Luckily the pumps are not at the very bottom of the pond. The pond is cycling the new water and since we are very hot in FL the water is a little green. The fish are healthy so I am not worried.

The first picture is from around Spring Break, the second picture is from this winter after a cold snap that took out most of my banana plants and dried out many other tropical plantings.

Attachments

• 100_0007 7.jpg
    100_0007 7.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 100_0602.jpg
    100_0602.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 324

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome rob and that looks good and gosh you have got a lot of healthy looking plants there .We were mostly in your situation here this past winter .I hope next winter is not as bad as last winter .I lost my cold hardy banana this past winter to the cold .I had it protected but I guess not enough .I even lost some of my elephant ears to the extreme cold .

Ask a Question