New to the Garden Pond Forum

Reaction score
:fish2: Howdy - I just moved into a new house with a large Koi pond. I'm clueless on how to take care of it and am looking for advice. Winter is near and I heard that I need to cut back the plants. I tried to pull some up because they have really multiplied but they are really, really stuck. Any suggestions?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The plants are in the pond? Most likely the people put the plants in pots, or you may have a lot of bio matter on the bottom with intertwined roots. It would be a matter of finding an edge you can start pulling them up from and keep yanking. Sure don't want to use a shovel or anything sharp so you don't hurt the liner.

Pictures help a lot.

And welcome all will help to their best ability.

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the plants I am talking about, however they are much bigger now. I could not feel any pots below the water. The top level is really out of control now because it covers most of the pond area. I truly appreciate all of your comments.
Kindly-

Attachments

• koi pond.jpg
    koi pond.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 310

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Not really an easy answer there. Just have to cut and pry and worry 'em out, little by little. What kind of liner? Concrete or a plastic liner? If you're not sure or it's a plastic liner pond, be careful with any sharp tools near that liner.

Reaction score
Bummer! I was hoping for an easier way. The liner is a heavy rubber or plastic so I guess I'll put on my canvas tennis shoes and go wading, eh? Thanks for your response.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
tdawgbone said:
Bummer! I was hoping for an easier way. The liner is a heavy rubber or plastic so I guess I'll put on my canvas tennis shoes and go wading, eh? Thanks for your response.

Don't use anything sharp, it is real easy to cut through the liner, then you will have a repair on your hands. Have on some gloves to help with grabbing and yanking. Like said above find an edge that feels a little loose and start yanking.

If you can pull the plant up high enough to know you are no where near the liner, you could use some hand clippers. Use your fingers to make sure you are cutting just the plant.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Go to Big 5 Sporting Goods, if you have one, and buy a pair of sand shoes. They have several names but they will give you a made for water type shoe that is handy when working inside your pond. Othere sporting goods stores have them as well.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
tdawgbone said:

just cut the plants down as far as you can,then cover them, you can use buckets,or rose foam white buckets..Most important is trimming the old stuff off after it dies back.Those plants come back each year ,so I'm sure they need not be removed.

Ask a Question