New to koi ponds need advice!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello new to having a koi pond I have always had fish tanks but new to this and just would like a little advice and pointers on my new koi pond!

Attachments

• BBD01995-71BC-44E6-8951-B033666FC343.png
    BBD01995-71BC-44E6-8951-B033666FC343.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Do you already have a koi pond, or are you in the planning stages? Where do you live? Tell us something about your pond — and worry about the pics later. What size? How many koi? What kind of pointers are you looking for?

Assuming this is a new set up, if you are not already, I would suggest that you start testing your water, at least in the early stages. We find that a lot of newbies skip this step, and it can lead to problems. We usually recommend a liquid drop test, such as the API kits. Test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, KH, and GH.

Also, you’ll find that with the exception of a de-chlorinator, we avoid adding any chemicals to our ponds. No algaecides, no beneficial bacteria, etc. We are all about helping Mother Nature. For example, we are big fans of plants — lots of plants! Bog filtration (AKA eco or wetlands systems) for filtration.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I do have 5 koi small koi 1 large and about 6 comet Goldfish water quality is great since last checked. I have had the fish in for about a month now and everybody seems to be doing fine. I’m mainly just asking do you think the pond is large enough and is there anything I may could add/or do to enhance visual wise? I’m not exactly how long it is I need to measure but it’s 1 1/2 foot deep on the sides and 31/2 in the middle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF and to the world of ponds!

My first advice will not be easy to hear - you have too many fish for that size pond, if the picture is any judge of the size. (I'm using that terra cotta planter and your coffee mug as a size comparison.) You say "5 small koi" - I say "5 giant koi in 18 months". You will quickly overwhelm your filtration and your fish will suffer. If you have kept aquariums, you know the story there. Koi have a biomass that far exceeds any other pond fish. Many people like to use the "one inch per so many gallons" rule, but if you check this chart, you will see that one 18 inch koi (which is definitely an average sized koi) produces far more waste than 3 six inch goldfish:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I agree with lisak1 your pond looks too small for koi. They get huge, need a lot of water room and great filtration.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Korey! Nice pond. I agree with Lisa, most aquarium keepers have abandoned the inch of fish rule because it is nonsense. Since you are an experienced aquarist, envision your pond as a giant aquarium inside your home. How would you stock and filter a tank that size? I suspect there is no way you would have that many fish of that size (or potential size) in an aquarium of that water volume and existing filtration. It would be super high maintenance and that defeats the idea of our ponds. Keep it simple and enjoy! You have a very nice looking pond. I would lower your biomass to just a few goldfish. Rehome the Koi and sit back to relish that beautiful water feature. To answer your question about visual, perhaps some rockwork in certain places with plants nestled within. Again, welcome!

Ask a Question