New to ponds. Water question

Reaction score
Country
United States
First off, thanks to everyone who posts on this site. Saved me tons of searching for answers. But one thing I read (not sure if it was this site) is a thing called “new pond syndrome “ where you have to run your pond so much time, think its a week ,before introducing any living organism. How true is this? And should I put my plants in first before I think of adding fish? I have well water and my pond is 4x5 feet at 2 feet deep. PS forgive the mess in the pic. Still a work in progress lol
59DC84A6-4643-4A48-A8B6-45DA7137A93D.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Add plants let it run for a few weeks, then add two fish, have a test kit and start testing for ammonia etc. Api liquid test kits work great.
It takes awhile to get the good bacteria growing.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check the PH of the well water mine is very acidic and soft.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! "New pond syndrome" is when you first fill a pond, get it ready for fish, get some plants in there, finally add your fish and then BOOM. Green water. So green you can't see the fish. Then you have to have to patience of Job to wait for the pond to find its balance. And if you decide "hey, I think I'll empty the pond, scrub it down really good and add fresh water" you'll be right back where you started: new pond syndrome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
When you add your fish, dont get anything fancy just yet. Go get a few "feeder" goldfish. When I started my pond 10 years ago, feeder goldfish were 10 cents a piece. I still have some of them in there today!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome JayP
Looking forward to more pictures as the project/obsession takes over your life...LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@JayP
I waited several weeks before I added fish to mine and a test kit would be good to find out what your well water tests at and your pond water after it sits awhile. I bought a few feeder goldfish like @poconojoe did and now I have some of those left and many of their young.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks all for the info. I shouldn’t assume that well water is natural water. I’ll definitely get a test kit.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks all for the info. I shouldn’t assume that well water is natural water. I’ll definitely get a test kit.
It is natural water, just some is acidic some alkaline some soft some hard. Ours just happens to be acidic and soft. To acidic for fish.

Ask a Question