New to the forum, but I have had a very large pond for 15 yrs. Now problems.

Can i fil a Koi pond from a natural river?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it will kill them

• Maybe, If you have filtration

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • If filtration, what type would work?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not sought advice for a long time, but I have a dilemma. I have a quite large pond in excess of 250,000 gallons that I fill from a domestic well. Well, I live in California and we are having serious water problems. I have a river running through my property with rights. I was told when I converted my pond from natural and Bass to Koi that I should never use river water to fill my pond. The excuse was risk of infections and parasites. That makes sense to me. I have heard both views that it is not problem and the naysayers. I don't have competition Koi and have adopted many rejects from the locals. But I love them and would hate to introduce pathogens to their environment. My pond has many natural plants and has been used for irrigation of pastures to allow for water turnover.

My problem is that we are now in a water crisis as my well is stuggling and we are not able to continue to fill my pond with clean well water. I have a river 300 ft away. Can I filter this water to continue to fill my Koi pond? Professional and experienced recommendations appreciated.

Don

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have not sought advice for a long time, but I have a dilemma. I have a quite large pond in excess of 250,000 gallons that I fill from a domestic well. Well, I live in California and we are having serious water problems. I have a river running through my property with rights. I was told when I converted my pond from natural and Bass to Koi that I should never use river water to fill my pond. The excuse was risk of infections and parasites. That makes sense to me. I have heard both views that it is not problem and the naysayers. I don't have competition Koi and have adopted many rejects from the locals. But I love them and would hate to introduce pathogens to their environment. My pond has many natural plants and has been used for irrigation of pastures to allow for water turnover.

My problem is that we are now in a water crisis as my well is stuggling and we are not able to continue to fill my pond with clean well water. I have a river 300 ft away. Can I filter this water to continue to fill my Koi pond? Professional and experienced recommendations appreciated.

Don

What you suggest is possible and feasible. My first thought when I read your post was, even though you have 'Rights'. What do those rights include? The EPA is quite strict on enforcing environmental restrictions on public waterways. This river flowing trough your property is just such a public waterway. I would check first to see if permitting is required before proceeding any further.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've useriver water for all my domestic uses for 21 years with no problems.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and i think i would test the water first for harmful stuff like run off of fertilizers or weed killers .The power towers here got charged with it because they sprayed the weeds and it was a windy day and killed peoples trees and plants nearby and polluted a stream and pond and they had to clean it all up .They claimed the spray was harmless but it killed 10 and 12 ft trees .With the way things are these days you really need to be very careful :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My permit allots me more water than I'll ever use for all my uses including my ponds..

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My permit allots me more water than I'll ever use for all my uses including my ponds..

Great! If you are sure that you have the legal ramifications covered lets address your question. Parasites and infectious pathogens are ubiquitous to all aquatic habitats.Healthy fish are rarely bothered by them. So that should not be an issue.
I would be more concerned with a significant difference in pH. It would be wise to test the two--river and pond. Temperature differential would be my next concern. Otherwise I see no reason that the river could not be used as source water for the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
pH is a constant 8.2 and I have a total of 10,800 of water in buried holding tanks so the water stays at a constant temperature.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
River water changes from time to time. Around here where I live, spring breakup the water quality goes down and the water can have a funny smell in the spring. Down in California the population is quite dense so pollution very likely. Plus you have been having a long drought so the water quality could really be bad. If you filter it you should be ok.

Sure hope that water crisis does not go on for too long...

Ask a Question