New to the Koi world

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you have copper in your water? I just found one obscure reference to copper causing a slight purple-ish discoloration on surfaces such as a pond liner. It's a long-shot.....but can you test for copper?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It looks like the entire liner is coated with some sort of growth. Does it easily rub off or is it gritty and kinda stuck to the sides? And how long has it been on the liner, do you know?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Manganese -- found another one, a mineral that can be found in well water -- can also leave a residue. More common than copper.

Reaction score
Do you have copper in your water? I just found one obscure reference to copper causing a slight purple-ish discoloration on surfaces such as a pond liner. It's a long-shot.....but can you test for copper?
Don't the Ion Gen's systems to reduce algae use copper in them? If she is using one of those maybe she is getting to much copper in the water? I don't know how they work but read that it used copper.

Reaction score
Are you using a Iongen system for algae control? I know they use copper and read up on them. a while ago. This is a clip from http://pondalgaesolutions.org/2013/05/02/iongen-pond-ionizer-what-does-it-do/ .

"On the other end of the spectrum, low alkalinity increases the duration of copper and this can be problematic when it’s constantly being added to the water, even in small amounts. In readings where the alkalinity is below 50 mg/L copper can build up to toxic levels over time and may cause harm to fish. In most cases a copper level reading of 0.2 to 0.25 should be safe for fish and be able to control algae."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Weve come up with a whole heap of answers here and on your original post from Toxic algae to salt copper manganese etc however non of us have come up with difinutive proof of what is causing it whether this is throwing us from the answer or not I dont know .
Has your pond guy taken a scrape of your koi to see if this is parasitic , it may be a bacterial problem or last but not least a viral problem.
A big killer of koi virus wise is a virus known as KHV or koi hearpes virus which can be brought on by stressful situations like overcrowding high water temperatures etc if it its it would kill around 80% of your stock however youd need to send a fish to a lab to see if this is the case , which would mean you sacrificing one.
KHV symptoms can be distressing they show signs of severe gill damage a loss of colour , produce exessive amounts of mucus and severe internal problems where the organs liquify but your not discribing any of those symptoms .
It is temerature related at 7c it is dormant at 27c active .
However I doubt very much if you have it Tricodena can cause losses as can whitespot if untreated in reality we need a scrape done and a prasite count of that scrape under a microscope cn your pond guy do this for you Brenda ?
One thing I dont understand about him is this if he has 25 years experiance with koi , then why on earth didnt he warn you about your stocking levels being far to many for your sytem to continue to support ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Brenda I've added the treatments you wanted to know about on your other thread :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Are you using a Iongen system for algae control? I know they use copper and read up on them. a while ago. This is a clip from http://pondalgaesolutions.org/2013/05/02/iongen-pond-ionizer-what-does-it-do/ .

"On the other end of the spectrum, low alkalinity increases the duration of copper and this can be problematic when it’s constantly being added to the water, even in small amounts. In readings where the alkalinity is below 50 mg/L copper can build up to toxic levels over time and may cause harm to fish. In most cases a copper level reading of 0.2 to 0.25 should be safe for fish and be able to control algae."
I don't use that I have not really had a problem with algae

Ask a Question