New to the site

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie here, definately a DIYer. I got a preform pond from a friend last year, and made my own small biofilter, has been doing pretty good, but now it's time to size up. I have some old very large tractor tires I wanted to use, since the area I live can flood on occasion and I want to lift it up about 20 inches on one side. Do you think this could work: The tires are cut in half, place them out and at joints place concrete blocks for support, dig about 2.5 feet in the ground inside leaving ledge at about existing ground level. Mt thought is to let the pond liner actually fold in and up into the inside portion of the tire giving the fish safety. Okay, dilemma: The tire will show. I can bank dirt up on outside, any suggestions for hiding the top? I thought of this, not sure if iy'll work though...what ya think. Cut round holes in the top of tire periodically, slice into liner there and fold up through and staple. Then to grow clover and sprawling plants in pots set in the holes, pot and roots in water. Will it work? Any other suggestions for masking the tires??? All ideas appreciated! Desperate to start. thanks

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
janine welcome to the forum........the tractor tire pond...this is a tough one...it would probably work,,,you can test the tires to see how much weight they can hold , large flat rocks are my choice.....i would build the dirt up a few inches higher then the tire,let the linner go inside ,then over the tire,and cover some of the dirt....the dirt and the outer rim of your tractor tire will hold the weight of the rock top...........watch for sharp eadges,,,buy a good linner, keep it level,,,,forget about cutting holes in your tires for pots,,,again keep it level......and good luck.

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I keep going out and just staring and trying to figure how to make it work. I'm going to stock up on everything first and then start so I have som time.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Other than filler, why do you feel a need to use the tires? Seems like they are more of a liability than asset.

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Well, my back yard is low, and during the hurricanes it did flood, almost 18inches of water. Of course it hasn't happened since but I back up to a wet land, and even though the pond isn't located that far back, I plant and prepare for flooding just incase. The tractor tire raised my pond 24 inches instantly. I thought with there roundness they would still form a more natural form. Yesterday my husband made a 8 x 16 4x4 post, raised garden, rather easily, so now I'm thinking that may be the way to go, instead. What do you think, now maybe on the patio instead, then I don't have to try to make it blend in naturally???:)

I was just trying to recycle the tires by the way, I love using found used things in the garden whenever I can.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
now that sounds like a good idea.......in the forum find diy....start to finish by hockeyref 88 ......

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Use the tires for filler and that will be a good use for them. Framing with them does not seem practical to me.

Ask a Question