newb to the site + filter question

Reaction score
Hello, just found the site after my search for info on my pond. I purchased my house a few years ago & decided to tear out the existing ponds since they have sat w/o being cleaned for 20ish years. There were two ponds connected by a 25-30ft stream...... then I cam along

A few weeks ago we emptied the top pond & dug is out a little to eliminate the shelf around the endges & made it a little deeper by adding another layer of 6x6's across the top. So I have about 20inches of depth at the shallowest (along the edges) & goes to 30-31in of water depth. I added a koi-toilet bottom drain with a sacrimento koi skimmer box. The bottom drain goes to a DIY vortex, I used a 100g rubbermaid tub. The tub & skimmer then T into a sequence/reeflo dart/snapper hybrid pump. It only has 2-3ft of head max so with the dart impeller it's pushing 3000-3400 gpg at 175ish watts or with the snapper impeller around 100w & 2400 ish gph.

I planned on plumbing the return into a 160g rubbermaid tub. I was going to use a bog filter but I think I am not going that route. Should I just throw a bunch of lavarock in there? Or are filter pads preferred?

My thought was to use egg crate on the bottom of the tub with PVC holding the egg crate off the bottom with a layer of filter pad material on that. Then a bunch of lava rock?

Any thoughs or suggestions??

Hopefully I can throw some pics up this weekend...... then I need to start on the other pond.... ugh...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

The pvc would work I had one built that way, are you putting in a bottom drain or flush to get rid of collected muck?

Reaction score
Filter pads have more surface area than lava rock. But filter pads can be easier to clean. The party line in hobbyist forums are filter pads are better if you're looking for the most popular answer.

If you wanted to get into a bit of detail...

The reality is of course what is it depends on the filter's purpose. For a bio filter I'd say a trickle tower with lava rock beats a filter pad deal. The tower keeps the rock free of muck and adds O2. I've never seen a filter pad setup that wasn't covered with silt so they weren't doing anything. Few ponders like to clean these every few days. But as a mechanical filter the pads can serve a function if cleaned often.

And also, if this is to be a bio filter, the answer would depend on the fish load. If the pond is stuffed with fish you'd certainly want the added surface area of pads, but in that case you'd want to consider other media with even better surface area. For normal type fish loads you probably already have way more bio capacity than you'll ever need so you could add anything type of media.

The bottom line for a bio filter is the measurement of ammonia. Professionals have an idea of the amount of filtering needed for their location and fish load based on experience (failures). But they still measure ammonia and bring additional filters online if needed. Its the only way to know you have the right amount of surface area. Hobbyist generally don't have anywhere near the fish load that any bio filter is actually required.

Reaction score
thanks.... I have used wet/dry filters on my saltwater aquariums for about 20 years now, been trying to figure out if there is a way to add a w/d filter to the pond, I just can't figure out how due to not wanting a big box next to the pond.

yes I have a bottom drain with air diffuser on the pond. I also plan on having a drain in the rubbermaid tub to empty that when needed.

I will do some more looking, see if there is a way to add a trickle filter to the setup. Not really sure what the bio load will be, nothing to heavy for a while

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use filter pads on top and lava rock below that and lava rock are really not that hard to clean. I just put a small pump in the bottom of my tank and plug it in and run pond water over it until the muck is out and just rinse the filter pads and done and did a 10% water change at the same time .Simple and fast is my motto .I have a drain on it but found this way is easier

Reaction score
thanks everyone.... I think what I am going to do is run the water into the bottom of the tub. I will make a platform for the eggcrate to lay on & put a layer or two of filter material down. Then above that I will fill the tub up with some large lava rocks &/or some bio balls. Hopefully that will be enough to keep the pond going,

I worked on it a little this evening, I can't figure out how to make a waterfall.... ugh.....

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Can you post some pics of your pond and setup and we may be able to help you figure out how to do your waterfall.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
lava rock is old technology and gums up with crud pretty quickly in a submerged media filter. in a trickle tower, wet/dry, or bakki shower they are a good way to go, tho.

Ask a Question