Newbie from BC Canada

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Have not built yet because of concerns for the cold weather while I am away in Arizona during the winter. My pond plan is about 1/2 above ground level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good luck with your pond and welcome! Hmm.... It looks like you are in a really pretty area by a lot of national parks. When you get a chance please post some pictures! The more in ground the pond is the warmer it will be for your fish. Usually 4-5 ft into the ground will keep it warm enough at least by us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
My original plan was a 10'x12' 6-7' deep concrete pond.I would love some Koi fish but the feeder goldfish I have in the small pond get replaced after the winter so I do not worry about them. Might change my school of thought and have more of a nature pond with lots of water plants and cascading pools. There are lots of rocks available to build with so I might look at that idea instead of a large cement pond. Will have to plan more for next spring before a rebuild.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-8-23_7-37-50.gif
@Ronfire

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and since you say you are headed for Arizona ,does that mean you stay there all winter .If so who will tend to the pond .Going that deep may not be good either.10x12 will not really be big enough for koi as they grow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome neighbor!
you will need a local support team for your pond, while your away in AZ.

Ask a Question