Newbie from CA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! I just purchased a home that has a pond in the backyard. I am a total newbie and have no clue how to maintain this thing. It is made of concrete, appears to be about 2800 gallons, and has about a 5' tall waterfall. The pump seems to work fine, but I'm not sure that it has a filter. My kids have been asking to put some fish in the pond so any help and info is much appreciated! Thanks,
Daniel
20170911_132109.jpg
20170911_132055.jpg
20170911_132047.jpg
20170911_132034.jpg
20170911_132040.jpg

Attachments

• 20170911_132055.jpg
    20170911_132055.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 20170911_132121.jpg
    20170911_132121.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 171

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! That large black barrel is your filter, I can see a filter pad on top of it.

Is there a drain towards the bottom of it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! That large black barrel is your filter, I can see a filter pad on top of it.

Is there a drain towards the bottom of it?
I'm not sure about a drain, I'll have to check when I get home from work. Is this type of filter sufficient to support several fish or should I get a larger one? I was under the impression that was only a UV clarified, and not filter. I've been looking online and have thought about a pressurized filter of some sort.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome. The waterfall container, the barrel as addy1 mentioned, is the biological, and maybe also mechanical filter. The UV filter is attached to it probably needs a new bulb or bulbs depending on the model.
There should be some way to turn off the flow to the waterfall and drain it for cleaning, thus the drain mentioned. If you wash the pads, or whatever is in the barrel make sure to use declorinated water because you don't want to kill the good bateria growing on it.
Whatever you do, do not use an algaecide. Do get an API pond master test kit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome. The waterfall container, the barrel as addy1 mentioned, is the biological, and maybe also mechanical filter. The UV filter is attached to it probably needs a new bulb or bulbs depending on the model.
There should be some way to turn off the flow to the waterfall and drain it for cleaning, thus the drain mentioned. If you wash the pads, or whatever is in the barrel make sure to use declorinated water because you don't want to kill the good bateria growing on it.
Whatever you do, do not use an algaecide. Do get an API pond master test kit.
The only thing inside the waterfall is peagravel, not seeing and pads. And as far as using chlorinated water, the pond has an autofiller plumbed to city water. It is currently in the high 90's - 100 degrees regularly which I'm sure causes quite a bit of evaporation. I did order an API test kit, a bottle of Stress Coat to neutralize the chlorine, and some water hyacinth and water lettuce to help with filtration. Thank you for the help everyone, I'm hoping to be successful at this!
20170912_101556.jpg
20170912_101641.jpg

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It looks like a diy filter. I am sure some of the more experienced members will have better guidance. Do you have access to the previous owner for a run down on operation? I did find the web site for the manufacture of the UV filter. Recommended to replace the bulbs every year and to clean the inside glass if possible. It will go a long way to getting rid of the pea soup, any plants will help a lot too. In a few short weeks your pond should be ready for fish!

Edit: I may have been wrong about pea soup, hard to tell from first picture.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like a diy filter. I am sure some of the more experienced members will have better guidance. Do you have access to the previous owner for a run down on operation? I did find the web site for the manufacture of the UV filter. Recommended to replace the bulbs every year and to clean the inside glass if possible. It will go a long way to getting rid of the pea soup, any plants will help a lot too. In a few short weeks your pond should be ready for fish!

Edit: I may have been wrong about pea soup, hard to tell from first picture.
Thank you, I will check on replacing the bulb and cleaning the UV filter. My pump and uv filter have been running for about a week now, there is a coating of green algae on the sides and bottom but the water is crystal clear!

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you, I will check on replacing the bulb and cleaning the UV filter. My pump and uv filter have been running for about a week now, there is a coating of green algae on the sides and bottom but the water is crystal clear!
I was thinking pea soup and bulb replacement would be priority for that condition. Put it on your list but it may not be a priority for the moment.

Ask a Question