Newbie from the Isle of Man

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I remember when we first built our pond. I'd rush home from work to look at the fish! Its been 5 years now and I still love sitting by the pond but am excited to see new people have the new interest in running out to look at their fish.

Great job and welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I remember when we first built our pond. I'd rush home from work to look at the fish! Its been 5 years now and I still love sitting by the pond but am excited to see new people have the new interest in running out to look at their fish.

Great job and welcome!
Ye that sums it up perfectly, checking every day to make sure they are are there and well. I worked late tonight so won't be able to see them, I bet there missing me haha. Truth is they are much happier hiding under the ledge I built them, how inconsiderate is that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's tynwald day, today on the rock. It's our national day and a bank holiday. So I celebrated by cleaning my pond for the first time. Feel free to jump in on this and give me advice.I netted leaves top and bottom of the pond.
Drained 10% (approx) of pond then topped up with clean/new water
I plan to do this once a week is this too few or too much.
This fish loved it playing with the net and feeding on the disturbed pond life.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Welcome Ram! nice to hear you are getting lots of enjoyment out of your pond. The koi are fine for now as they are still very small, however they will grow quick and my two oldest koi are now over 20 inches long and over 15 pounds I would say ,,, down the road you might have to expand that little pond cause you will get very attached to koi and they quickly become little beggars, always hungry for food! ha ha ha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
That's the plan Coleen, to be honest for the first week they were a bit shy and didn't seem to eating much offered by me, but they hammered the local shrimp population. However the last few days they gather around the 'feeding spot' and get stuck in. The koi is indeed growing fast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Took a few more pics of my fish, if nothing else just to see how much they have grown. Geez it's hard to take photos of fish they are constantly moving haha.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 160
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
At least my dog and plants stay still

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 188
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The main things I have noticed over the past few weeks is that as the pond has settled down the water clarity has reduced. I am happy with this as the pond looks more natural, not like a tank outside but an actual pond. Don't get me wrong the pond is still clear but it has changed and settled.
The second thing I have noticed is the confidence of the fish has increased, they know me and they know my presence usually means food. I often find them out playing instead of hiding away.
Also the weather here has just improved and this has ment that the fish are going nuts chasing each other there doesn't seem to be much romance in the fish world.
Anyway I just thought I would keep updating this thread, hope that's ok. Take it easy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's great when the fish get to know your routines. I just have to walk to the spot where I always feed them and they all suddenly appear.
As their confidence grows, they will also take food from your hand, which is a great trick when my nieces and nephews come visiting.

Ask a Question