Newbie I DFW

Reaction score
Hello all, just joined the site a few days ago. I just started my dig Yesterday... now waiting for liner and rocks to get here. Wish me luck!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefromgang4.gif

Superman!

how big? what kind of fish? texas area, how deep?

Reaction score
Well... the pond is around 4x7 and 32" deep right now. We dug for 5 hrs and the Texas clay just wore us out...LOL. I'm keeping the pond small enough so I can run it off all solar. We were hoping to be able to keep Koi, but it's looking still kinda small. We'll see how much room we have to play with (dig more) when the liner comes in....

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Koi like room, filtration, water flow. They poop a lot and are fussier about the water than gold fish and shubunkins, they don't like plants either, well they like them but to eat, not swim amoung

You can get some real pretty goldfish and shubunkins if you think it is too small for koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good luck! I have a smaller pond also (8x6x18") and have some pretty goldfish I saved from a bait shop about 5-6" long now. White, white/orange, orange and a black/orangish colored one. People often think they are koi but they aren't. Although they luved my water hyacinth roots (lil stinkers) so had to make a ring for them. Have fun!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great superman! I have mini ponds in my stream, they are stuffed with plants, great plant filters. The hyacinths are blooming like crazy in the small ponds.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Welcome to GPF! You really need 4' deep for koi to live to there full potential. 32" is kinda shallow long term. It would be ok to start but koi can grow to over a foot long in one year. I am not trying to discourage you but if you can, dig deeper. Also, DO NOT put rocks in the bottom of the pond. It will turn into a mess in a short time. Let mother nature do its thing and the liner will look natural in time.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Superman0311 said:
Hello all, just joined the site a few days ago. I just started my dig Yesterday... now waiting for liner and rocks to get here. Wish me luck!!!

bet ya can't wait.........:bouncycig:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Supermanwelcome.gif
Superman
Hey w/ you being Superman and all I don't see why you can't dig one humongous pond in seconds flat. Been hanging around that Kryptonite too long?:bouncycig:

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I have been trolling this forum for about 2-3 weeks now. I have lotus already growing in a separate pot (seeds from Michael's). I don't plan on putting rocks in the pond. I want it as low maintenance as possible. I plan on digging it a little wider and cleaning the dig up a little bit more when the liner comes in. I have a small shelf to put some plant pots in. I am also planning on putting in black egg-crate to make the ledge so the fish can have a nice hiding spot when they feel threatened.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
good luck and hopes it's cooler for your dig and remember to drink plenty of fluids ,this way you have to go to the bathroom more and cool off while your inside LOL.Thats how I do it

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
hi from UK .....Go deeper and bigger. .it always worth going the extra mile ... in your case 5ft....you ll wish you had, if you dont...welcome:regular_waving_emot

Ask a Question