Newbie, Raised Pond and Solar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folk

No shouting as complete newbie here.

I am looking at purchasing the Iris Clear View Aquarium (https://www.gardenaquarium.co.uk/product-page/iris-clear-view-garden-aquarium) with two/three fish. I am looking at using solar for pond pump/filtration and the only reason I have started a new thread is that there is always new technologies and it advances every year. The pond will be 114 gallons or 520 litres so I was thinking of this solution https://www.powerbee.co.uk/pond-supplies/all-in-one-pond-pumps/solar-pond-filter-small.html which uses mechanical filtration. Otherwise I am open to new products or maybe solar panel to an invertor and battery but I don't know calculations so any help would be helpful.

Hope you all staying safe.

Best regards

Ray

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

We never shout! JUST TYPE BIG!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

That is a cute little set up. Will it be inside or outside?

Was going to ask if you planned to have fish, but saw where you said 2/3. Keep it to smaller fish, goldfish or a smaller native fish — no koi.

I really can’t give advice on pumps/filters — don’t know a lot about various brands. However, do these solar ones store the energy for later use, or do they only run with direct sunlight? It’s important for your pump to run 24/7, especially if that is the only source of water movement. And, I always thought that the U.K. was notorious for not having a lot of sunshine — would a solar system be feasible? Have you considered a filter for bio-filtration as well as mechanical?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1596580329795.gif
@rmitchell
What a neat little pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would place it in the shade. i don't see and established setup there it all looks very new and i am affraid youll have green water in no time but i am hardly and expert on that filter but i will say this i bet water changes will be needed frequently unless you get a whole lot more plants going

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would place it in the shade. i don't see and established setup there it all looks very new and i am affraid youll have green water in no time but i am hardly and expert on that filter but i will say this i bet water changes will be needed frequently unless you get a whole lot more plants going
@rmitchell, as stated above, water quality will be an issue in a smaller body of water, so sometimes it’s better to think of it more as a large aquarium rather than a pond. Yes, shade would be best.

And let me say here, that no one is trying to talk you out of this set-up! We’re merely pointing out things that we’ve all learned from experience!

In addition, let me introduce you to the bog filter (AKA wetlands, or Eco filtration)! You’re still going to require a pump, but the bog will function as your filter! Not only that, but you will be growing beautiful plants, as well! Bogs are easy to maintain. There have been several members who recently posted about bog filters that they created for their smaller, or container-type ponds. They don’t have to be elaborate, and they don’t have to take up much room.

And on another note (I know I’m going off topic since you were primarily asking about pumps/filters), be careful with the viewing windows! They will end up covered with algae! Assuming that the windows are some sort of polycarbonate/plexiglass material, they will scratch if you start trying to scrape off the algae. Be very careful with that, and follow the instructions from the manufacturer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
[! They will end up covered with algae! Assuming that the windows are some sort of polycarbonate/plexiglass material, they will scratch if you start trying to scrape off the algae. Be very careful with that, and follow the instructions from the manufacturer.
[/QUOTE]
I would not put a lexan or any other type of plaatic window out doors the only advantages are it wont shatter from the lawnmower throwing a rock at it. And it saves on weight . GLASS ALL THE WAY FOR ME

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
[! They will end up covered with algae! Assuming that the windows are some sort of polycarbonate/plexiglass material, they will scratch if you start trying to scrape off the algae. Be very careful with that, and follow the instructions from the manufacturer.
I would not put a lexan or any other type of plaatic window out doors the only advantages are it wont shatter from the lawnmower throwing a rock at it. And it saves on weight . GLASS ALL THE WAY FOR ME
[/QUOTE]
Agree, but I think this is a packaged deal.

Ask a Question