Newbie to Koi game - Question(s)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My Gracie has always jumped. I don't know if she's ever cleared the water, but she's been up pretty high. It's usually at night. I always thought she was fetching bugs. My other Koi has never jumped. Well, not that I've seen. We have an old screen door on the back door close to the pond. The kind that has one of those metal springs, it slams loud every time someone goes in or out of the house. The fish are so use to it now, they come up to get fed. Guess they think every time someone comes out, it's for their benefit. After awhile, they will get use to noise (or vibrations) not sure if they can actually hear.

We have actually had a current leak in our saltwater tank. Didn't know it til I stuck my hand in their to do something and felt it. It must not of been strong enough to hurt the fish or corals. Just did the process of elimination and found out it was a bad power head. But, yes it can kill your fish if strong enough.

Reaction score
The amount of current laked is commonly way under what human can feel and under what will cause a GFI to trip. There's two ways to diagnose problems. One is to talk about the possibilities and talk yourself out of a potential problem using suspect logic. The other way is to test to see if a problem exists or not. In the case of electrical leakage the cost is less than $25 for a multimeter.

I've been watching them today and they've been rather calm/sluggish partly due to the cold weather. We had snow yesterday and today so they haven't jumped or behaved like the other day.

I will use a multimeter to check it out.
Thanks

My Gracie has always jumped. I don't know if she's ever cleared the water, but she's been up pretty high. It's usually at night. I always thought she was fetching bugs. My other Koi has never jumped. Well, not that I've seen. We have an old screen door on the back door close to the pond. The kind that has one of those metal springs, it slams loud every time someone goes in or out of the house. The fish are so use to it now, they come up to get fed. Guess they think every time someone comes out, it's for their benefit. After awhile, they will get use to noise (or vibrations) not sure if they can actually hear.

We have actually had a current leak in our saltwater tank. Didn't know it til I stuck my hand in their to do something and felt it. It must not of been strong enough to hurt the fish or corals. Just did the process of elimination and found out it was a bad power head. But, yes it can kill your fish if strong enough.

Seems like current leak is a common thing...who would've thought. Good to know that I'm not the only one with fish jumping.

Reaction score
I have seen my koi jump and clear the water. I had one that jumped clear out of the pond and onto our driveway. It was found quick enough and survived. I had another that decided the lower goldfish pond looked more inviting and jumped over the wall into it. I know it didn't go via the waterfall as it was too big to fit through the weir. Maybe those were spooked by something but I don't know by what. They are familiar with the dogs and the dogs keep away the undesiribles...both the four legged and the two legged varieties as well as the winged creatures.

I have also seen them clear the pond water but it is rare. Usually in the early evenings and Ive only seen it a handful of times in the 17 yrs of our pond. I wouldn't worry to much about it unless you see it happening more. My professionial opionion is one fish said to the other
"You're too fat to clear the water".
"Am Not!"
"Are too!"
"I'll do it if you will"
"OK!"
One jumped
"See.. Your turn"
"Your tail didn't quite make it"
"Did to. You're afraid to do it"
"Am not!
"Are too!"
"Am not.. Here I go!"
And the second fish jumped.

:)

Craig

That is too funny!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If properly maintained you dont have those problems because you would have relpaced that part recognising long before that it was an accident waiting to happen and be rectified......
Look after all your fish keeping machinery and it will look after you .
For example we still have an eheim 2217 canister filter we bought back in 89, its still going strong, we use it to vacuume out our newt tank ( they ddnt half know how to make filters did eheim lol
grds

Dave

Ask a Question