Newbie - wintering Koi inside

Reaction score
Hi,

I was given 2 Koi in approximately 1 ft each last sping for my outside pond. The pond is maybe 2 feet deep and I've been told I can't leave them outside for the winter. I am looking for the most inexpensive way to winter them inside. I have a filter/pump I can bring in but need to know how much water they need to be in and what to use. My pond froze the night before and emptied almost all the water so I currently have them inside in a 50 tub with aeration. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jan

Reaction score
I am here in Indianapolis also. Without really good circulation and not knowing the full size of your pond, 2' can freeze here in Indy pretty easily. If you are wanting to bring them in for the winter let me make a couple of suggestions.
1. Go to Tractor Supply and get one of the 105-110 gallon water troughs. They run about $65.
2. Hook up your pumps and filters to them and make sure to keep an eye on the parameters until they get established.
3. Make sure to cover the tanks. The Koi may want to jump out since they are not used to the more confined space. Koi like to jump especially when they do not feel comfortable.
4. Place a tarp under the tank to keep any lose water in one area.
5. Add an air pump, a small one like you would have on an aquarium, just for extra aeration.
6. If you can afford it, go out and buy a cheap shop light and put over the tanks. I have a little more elaborate setup. But you can enjoy the Koi a little more and simulate the night and day for them.

Here are a couple pics of my indoor setups. Any questions you have, just ask. Several people here have indoor setups for winter time.

Attachments

• Setup1a.JPG
    Setup1a.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 341
  • Setup2a.JPG
    Setup2a.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 364
  • Setup3a.JPG
    Setup3a.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 362

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
another option is to build an indoor wintering pond as i did... theres no U.V exposure so liner degradation (breakdown) isnt an issue. this means a cheap 20 mil PVC liner is fine. my basement pond cost about $100.00 and i've used it as a fry pond as well.....heres a video of my setup if your interested
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/wintering-pond-basement-10-09-09-a-t4504.html
you wouldnt need one as large, mine is 800 gals .but a smaller version would keep them happy . youve got a pump and filter. so....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey RS are you actually able to keep those water hyacinth's alive and well all winter w/ that light set up? I've heard they are hard to keep indoors.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Koiguy that was a good video and your fish are lovely and your water is so clear :confused:

Reaction score
The water hyacinths are holding their own but getting smaller. The water is too clean for the baby Koi. But I am hoping that part of them make it. The lights I think are what they need. But I might end up with too clean of water for the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Koiguy, Thats really cool. I would love to do something like that, but I don't think the wife I have now would go for it! She already thinks I spend way too much time with my fish.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
CometKeith said:
Koiguy, Thats really cool. I would love to do something like that, but I don't think the wife I have now would go for it! She already thinks I spend way too much time with my fish.

:lol::lol: At least she would know were you were

Reaction score
Makes me wish I had a basement or more room for an indoor setup like Koiguy. Maybe some day. Until then I just have to enjoy my Koi with what I have.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies and help. I replied to my post on the wanted section but also want to thank everyone here who has offered advice. I just found a 150 gal tank at a fish shop that was remodeling and it was only $30. I am one of the unemployed and couldn't afford a new tank so I can't express how happy I am. I get to keep my babies!!! I have been in touch with the DNR, vets offices, fish shops and no one wanted the poor guys. My last resort was giving them away on Craigs list but I did not want to give them to just anyone. I'm sure I will have lots more questions in the coming days so please bear with me. Maybe one of these days I will be one of you and answering newbies questions!!

Thanks again,

Jan :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
great jan, called the learning curve, we all have gone through it.

Ask a Question