Reaction score
Greetings Forum,
I've been planning a pond now for some time and decided to just start digging a hole in my small backyard. I got a bit carried away and after 28 inches down started to expose my neighbor's garage foundation so had to stop digging. This will be a concrete pond with 6" base and walls. I wish I had a bigger yard.... so balancing patio space with pond space. Pond will have to be 18" above ground and 18" below ground (see above). hope to get some adivse and share war (naval) stories once its done.
thanks
steve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome! Oopps on the neighbor's garage!! What type of pond are you planning…..fish, plants, what type of fish etc? Kim

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze you having twins .Welcome and maybe you can post pics of where you want your pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Fishylove - looks like a glitch! I've deleted the duplicate for you :)

Reaction score
Hi. Just wondering how you could hit the foundation of your neighbors garage? Generally that would be on their property and you would want to keep the pond on yours. Maybe its just some buried debris?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know some places have zero lot lines and I had a garage at my first house in NJ that was less than 2 ft from the property line and footing may have been even closer .There fence went right from the side of the garage right around there yard .They even asked to paint it and I did not care so told them to go ahead .They painted a pretty mural on it and I just figured white paint and done ,it was pretty when they showed me .I could care less .Fence should not have been there but it was no big deal to me .

Reaction score
[attachment=60612:pondhole.jpg
Thanks for all the replies.... i wish this would happen with online dating... (maybe I need to confess I am into fishponds?)

So yeah, this is a 100 year old townhouse and the neighbors garage has been there for decades. I've already dug a massive hole. The thought of abandoning ship and filling it back up is too painful so I will move onwards and make a pond.
I am using concrete because i want it to sit above the ground level. the only way to do that would be to build a square wooden box . Anyways thats really not an option since my hole is bigger than what I can put in.

my main question is whether a 7 x 2.5 foot pond will look silly. i can probably go as small as 5.5 x 2 feet without feeling that all that digging was in vain. The depth will be 3 feet.

Goldfish should have no problem maneuvering in 2 feet width.

steve

Attachments

• pondhole.jpg
    pondhole.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 197

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nothing ever looks silly when it comes to ponds .You can look on you tube they have pics of builds of ponds in limited spaces .On the right side of your pic I do notice a pipe .Also what is runoff like from the roof areas over where you are building your pond .If there are gutters that over flow .You will need to build in an over flow area so your pond does not flood and fish end up out in the street

Reaction score
I think that shape will look fine. One of the benifits of a narrow pond it that the fish can't swim too far away from you. This is very helpful if you need to catch one to treat it for illness or injury or if you need to bring them inside for winter or something. I would keep it the bigger size, as a greater water volume is more stable in terms of temperature and the time it would take for nitrate to build up to toxic levels.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true and you will need to factor in a space for a filter and something for aeration of the water .I just really want to know what those pipes are for .Are the drainage for the yard or for gutters to run into since the one looks close to the wall .

Ask a Question