Kaffik

Kathy
Reaction score
Ok, ponds been full for 4 days- after total cleaning. I now have bacteria bloom turning water cloudy. I see that's normal.... But should I keep my uv off for a while?? I've read to not use it for a month after filling to give things a chance to establish....true? what if I get an algae bloom? Don't wanna mess up the establishment of the cycle......any help is appreciated.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would just run the UV and keep the water clear , My self

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you tested your water .I know this time of the year it happens with rain and so much up and down temps

Kaffik

Kathy
Reaction score
Hello again
Here are some photos - before, during and soon to be after the completion of the pond renovation.
Waterfall started today.....hope to finish tomorrow. Doing this all by myself as my dear son is too busy fishing!!! Not bad for a 46 year old, huh??? Oh, but my back is not too happy!!!
Got LOTS of dirt in the water today...any suggestions how to get out ( besides shop vac- tried that, and no way!!!)
BTW - have not tested water- am buying a test kit tomorrow. Will let you know results then.
Thanks for the welcome!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 207
Reaction score
Bacteria that converts ammonia does live part of it's life floating in the water. So during that period a UV could possibly slow down establishment. The free floating period is really short, just a few days. In most cases, warmish water, the bacteria will be in their stage where they're attached to a surface and no longer effected by a UV filter.

I wouldn't worry about the UV stopping the formation of ammonia converting bacteria unless you were talking about high fish loads and you needed large functioning bacteria colony fast.

A regular pump can be used to pump out water with dirt.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Quilt batting in a basket with the water pumped into it will get rid of the fine dirt ,but you will have to clean it often so fold it in the basket neat so you can rise it often .I have it in my filters all the time and just take it out rinse it a little and then I have a tub of water with peroxide in it and dunk it in there for awhile .I use to quilt battings for each filter while I am soaking one I put the clean one back in and then over and over again .I feel that if you can keep that up it will get rid of all the fine stuff in the water

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you are talking about where to put the quilt batting Kaffik then what you do is you get something like a laundry basket w/ holes in the sides or a big plastic planter and drill some holes all around it. Put the quilt batting in the basket by folding it up so it fits nicely in there. I like to put a big piece bowled up in there so none of the fine dirt can sneak out. Then you just set that under your water fall or tubing/pipe from a pump in your pond so that the water flows into that basket and collects the dirt. You can tie it off to something so it doesn't leave that spot. When it's dirty you change it out w/ another piece of the batting and clean the other dirty one and switch them out back and forth when one gets dirty. When you are satisfied w/ how clear your water is then you can stop using the basket setup till you need it again.

Ask a Question