Newbie's First Winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
in setting up your tank, if you have any media in your pond filter that will fit in your tank filter, chuck it in, will help the cycle :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
I ordered the 40Watt pond breather! It's coming in tomorrow. I wanted to ask 2 things as well..

1. It's getting close to the point that I will soon stop feeding the fish. I purchased a floating thermometer ( polar bear relaxing on a lifesaver raft, LOL ) and keeping an eye on the temp. Should I start scooping all the water hyacinths out? My tetrapond pressure filter is now clogging up probably from debris.

2. I'm about to purchase a mini generator to run the aerator in case a storm takes out my power. I'm too 'new homeowner' broke to purchase a generator for a whole house but I can get a small one. Any suggestions on wattage? I was looking into a 2,000kw that's usually used for camping and tailgating. Advice? Can I go smaller?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Not sure about the generator.

If your water temperature is 55, stop feeding. I actually stopped before that, just letting them nibble on algae.

I just completed winter preparations this afternoon. I'd already pulled my shower filter the other day. Today I donned my waders and jumped in the pond, cutting back all lilies, lifting floating baskets etc....also gave the bottom a good netting out. I set up my smaller aerator, after installing a new check valve and air stones, secured the de-icer directly above it and positioned the Pond Breather where I want it. I will plug in the Pond Breather and de-icer when the colder months come...but all I have to do, is plug them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
Not sure about the generator.

If your water temperature is 55, stop feeding. I actually stopped before that, just letting them nibble on algae.

I just completed winter preparations this afternoon. I'd already pulled my shower filter the other day. Today I donned my waders and jumped in the pond, cutting back all lilies, lifting floating baskets etc....also gave the bottom a good netting out. I set up my smaller aerator, after installing a new check valve and air stones, secured the de-icer directly above it and positioned the Pond Breather where I want it. I will plug in the Pond Breather and de-icer when the colder months come...but all I have to do, is plug them!

I always get paranoid trying to net the bottom thinking I'll rip the liner and destroy my pond! The previous owner told me the circuit for his aerator tripped once and he found the fish afloat one day. I don't want to risk it if a day affects them that quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh, that's terrible what happened to the former owner. I'm hopeful, the de-icer, aerator and Pond Breather will work. Of course if there is an extended power outage, none of them would be of any use!! Let us know which generator you decide to use.

BTW, I use a pool net. It is a fine mesh and has rounded plastic edges. I bought it at Walmart - on line!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I always get paranoid trying to net the bottom thinking I'll rip the liner and destroy my pond! The previous owner told me the circuit for his aerator tripped once and he found the fish afloat one day. I don't want to risk it if a day affects them that quickly.

You're not going to "rip" a hole in a 45mil EPDM liner with a pond net. I'm assuming, of course, that you've a proper liner.

As to a generator, big expense for not much bang unless it's "automatic" (ie. automatically starts when power fails). If your pond freezes over in the event of a power failure, boil water and pour it on the ice until a hole forms, the aerator will then keep the hole open.

The generator idea is akin to hunting mosquitos with a twelve gauge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm new to this site, and have just built my first pond. All seems to be going well. It is starting to get colder here in Scotland now so my fish are getting less active. Anxious to see if they survive the winter. Pond is 0.8m deep so I am hopeful they are ok. Didn't realise how into this I would get, great fun and loads of great advice on here. Thanks.
Here is a couple of pictures of my pond.
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0176.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Nice. it is deep enough IMO. that equates to 24 inches .8M. That's pretty common depth in my area. I had no problems last winter (my first).

Ask a Question