Adding a second small pond next to my waterfall pond and stream this stream

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This second pond will be a reflection pond with very little water movement. It will be approximately 5x8x2 and will not share any equipment or water. There will not be any plants or fish. The bottom will be flat flagstone. It will simply recirculate the water which will spill over the front edge into the water storage blocks. I didn’t build it for swimming or soaking, but was thinking on an occasional hot day it might be nice to sit in it. What are your tips or thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yup first thought was algae mat full coverage across the pond. With mosquitos and black k fles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For the first time that I know of in the last five years we have raccoons. They are cleaning out my bird feeders every night and easily figured out howto open the seed bin. I see them run across the pond area, so I am thinking that they may be fishing. I will check that out. I am going to start bringing in my bird feeders in at night. I put in a motion bulb by the back door and am adding cayenne pepper to the seed as well. I am going to toss some rags soaked with ammonia around the edge of the pond. Any other ideas? I know about netting and chicken wire but am trying to avoid that.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Ponds with shallows are a smorgasbord for raccoons. In the past I have built bunkers to protect the fish-large flat rock raised off the bottom, the fish can hide under it and the raccoons cannot reach under or move the large rock.

Ask a Question