Nexus 320 filter decision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some help from you pond experts please. I am replacing an old Oase Screenmatic 18, which has not done a great job of keeping my water clean. I was about to go for a Nexus 320 and air pump plus an Evolution Aqua 55 watt UV. This would have been installed as pump fedd and would have joined a smaller Oase 15000 FIltoclear which is fed by a submersible pump.

However, a pond installer has advised me to cancel my order for this and install a gravel filter that he says will duo a far better job.

Thew ork involved in installing a gravel filter seems a lot (although it does give me a bottom drain which would be great) - Should I just continue with the Nexus for the majority of the ponds filtration?

Thanks in advance,

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Stick with the Nexus. It have proven to be the absolute best biofilter available. It will also entail less maintenance over the years than a gravel filter, whether you are thinking upflow 'bog' or in-pond undergravel filtration.
Please explain why you need a gravel filter to have a bottom drain?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your input. My pond installer has said that the Nexus cannot get my pond clear (it is free of algae and blanket weed, just cloudy from loads of Lilly soil and other plants that the Koi have disrupted!).

I have two submerged Oase pumps at present lifted around 5 inches forms the floor of the pond. I have way too much silt (6-10 inches inlaces) and will clean this out, but I was thinking that a bottom drain would prevent silt from collecting in future? (16000 litres per hour feeding an Oase screenmatic 18 and an Oase Filtoclear 15000)

I really want to stick with my planned Nexus 320 and twin pumps, as although it is a pump fed system I think that it is a great setup for my natural pond with many plants, we'll established etc., I was just worried that I should be reconsidering after the advice for a gravel filter and bottom drain! I love ponds but there are way too many ways and opinions on how best to filter!!!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
An earthen-bottom pond? Or lined pond with lots of sediment? Either way more reason to stay away from a gravel filter unless you have very good pre-filtration.
Do you have a skimmer? A bottom drain can easily be retrofitted to it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Liner pond with lots of sediment. No skimmer, but I appreciate your advice that theNexus will suit me well!

Ask a Question