Nitrate vs nitrite

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would monitor the pH, maybe primarily. In my understanding, it would be more harmful to the fish to suddenly increase the pH than it would the alkalinity. But I don't have your background, so I'm sure you know more about that than I do!

Nice to have someone with your knowledge here and I hope you will be contributing to the forum. I'm sure we can all learn a great deal for you.

And there is no such thing as too many questions. We all have them, in droves, and probably never stop having them. To me, that's a good thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
No, no, no WaterGardener!!! YOU have all of the knowledge/experience!! I am a newbie and have soooo much to learn! I will keep you posted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you for your kind words. There are plenty of folks here with a lot more knowledge and experience than I have. It's nice to have people who will share what they know so we can all learn something from them. I know I have benefited greatly from forums like this one.

I'm sure you won't be a newbie for long. I suspect you, like me, enjoy learning as much as we can about our new adventures and want to provide the best for our fish.

Yes, please keep us informed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No, no, no WaterGardener!!! YOU have all of the knowledge/experience!! I am a newbie and have soooo much to learn! I will keep you posted.
Like WG said; monitor the pH but don't worry until you have a cushion re KH. If low alkalinity, you'll have issues with pH, hence increasing the alkalinity. The main idea re pH is not to have it change/swing rapidly. Fish will adjust but need to do so slowly, slowly.

Ask a Question