No color

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The manager of a near by koi farm told me that they sell very few of the thousands of young raised. The rest are composted due to lack of color or deformity.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m keeping all of them. Back to my original question. Isn’t it a little strange that over the years (like 10) I have never gotten even a spotted orange black and white or whatever solid? Always the mottled gray. Especially when my initial koi from years ago were solid color or spotted. In the past I have had heron and mink problems. That is why I still don’t have my originals.
not really, if you ever saw the Japanese they will remove the eggs from the parents pond after breeding. they place them alone in an area and wait for them to color up a couples months in. they reject a lot of fish in this process to get the unusual color patterns . As we know it the crazy colors long fins 24 inch two year old koi are mutations that have been purposely kept over the norm. they reject far more then they keep ESPESIALY THE HIGH DOLLAR fish

Last edited:

Ask a Question