Nowhere to hide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This coming winter in my small 1000ltr pond will my 3 small goldfish, 2 orandas n 1 single fin be happier with a sunken hideaway each where they can chillout, undisturbed, I could do with some 3"diameter tubings maybe n drill a hole in or 2 for a cord attachment

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I think they would feel more secure for sure
1633219268812.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I'm in Zone 7 and never had my pond freeze more than 2". I run the waterfall & pump year round. No heater or aerator.

I have a similar question. I have a shallow (10" at the deepest, less in most areas) 100 gallon pond. Last year one goldfish lived through the summer raccoons and wintered over. I have four feeder fish I got the beginning of this season (June) that are now fat and almost four inches long. I've found three babies they had (one is yellow orange and the other two are black). This is the first time I've fed fish two times/day - in the past I left them to eat pond algae. I now have feeder goldfish that are too many in number and a lot larger than any I've ever had at this time of year (due to putting on a cover every night so the raccoons couldn't get to them). I know this is too many fish for such a small pond. When they come out after winter, I'll find them a good home. I don't want to disrupt them just before they are ready to winter over.

I have a 3" tube that they sometimes hide in and they do their best to find rocks to get under when they feel threatened. I don't think there is enough deeper/bigger space for all them to winter over.

Suggestions on how to build them 'homes' now so they can get used to them in the next few weeks before winter settles in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yep; like addy said; use 4" pvc; available at all big box stores and it'll sink (get the schedule 40 version as the other floats).

Ask a Question