Oh joy...

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
OMG what a day you are having. Glad you got your pump working and you are ready for the next cold spell.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Well, it's a beautiful January day - temps close to 50 degrees - so I figured I would tackle the pump issue. Yesterday we realized that our aerator had failed - it appears to be producing air, but nothing is getting to the stones. Anyone ever have that happen? Is it not producing enough pressure? And THEN I pulled our auxiliary pump out of storage to put in the pond to get some water moving, and IT won't work. WHAT THE HECK?!? So I was doubly motivated to get the pump connected and plugged back in.

Anyway, I pulled the whole pump assembly out of the vault and realized as I did that every single connection that was glued together has come undone. Again - WHAT the heck? I talked to a few plumbing people and they said they have never seen PVC glue give out or fail. So what happened?

I got the whole thing glued back together and just as I was ready to put it back in the pump vault... KERPLUNK! My watch, which I had slipped in my pocket to keep from getting PVC glue on it, fell into the vault. Ugh... I'm in the process of pumping out six feet of water and hoping it still works once I get it out! IF I can get it out, that is! Hopefully I can see it down there!

I came inside to make a cup of coffee while the pump does it's thing and forgot to put the basket in the coffee maker - hot coffee all over the counter. GAH! It's one of those days folks!

I know what those days feel like.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Did you prime before you glued it I also rough my glue joints up a little with sandpaper before I prime and glue them .Only thing I can think of

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That's a bad day, Lisa!

Regarding the airpump pumping but no air reaching the stones - it could be that moisture has frozen in the airlines.
I've had pvc plumbing joints fail on me when I've taken too long to join the pipes and the cement skinned over, preventing sufficient chemical bonding with the opposing piece.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm guessing that's the problem, since the lines all failed at different times.

And still no idea about the PVC glue either. We always make sure the joints are clean and dry, we sand first (even new pipes), we use primer, we twist back and forth a bit to make sure the glue covers the whole joint, we hold the joints until they feel rock solid (thank you YouTube for all the lessons on gluing PVC!) - first time we've ever had joints fail. A guy at the plumbing store suggested we maybe used old glue, which is the most likely since every joint we glued last summer came apart like it had never been glued at all. He said it's alway better to buy new glue if you don't use it a lot. Lesson learned!

Good news! I got my watch out of the vault and IT STILL WORKS! Six hours under water. It's an Apple watch, so it's pretty much my favorite daily tool - I would have been really sad to lose it! I called Apple when it was still down there and asked about my warranty. AppleCare would cover it, but I had to get it out. He also told me it was the most interesting place to lose an Apple watch that he had heard of thus far, so go me!

I did a lot of brainstorming and finally designed my very own GET YOUR APPLE WATCH OUT OF YOUR PUMP VAULT tool - I taped a strong magnet to the end of the pole for our pond net (net removed first!) and ran it over the bottom of the vault - completely blind, as it still had about 14 inches of water in the bottom. After about three tries, BINGO! Success! The first good thing to go right all day long!

Got the pump back in and plugged in. Plumbing is all tight as a drum, pump is chugging along, but no water out of the bog. Nothing. Nada. I'm hoping that means the bog is still frozen beneath the surface and the water just can't push through the ice yet. I just don't know how deep a pit full of gravel would freeze - more or less than a pond full of water? We were in an intense cold spell when we had to pull the plug on the pump - more than a week of close to zero temps, so I would guess it froze pretty solid.

It's either that or we've sprung a leak along the return line... which is too scary to think about, so I'm not!

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I wanted to "dislike" yesterday's horror story. Glad things turned around. I do worry... If your return line is buried and put together at the same time as the other faulty joints.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If your return line is buried and put together at the same time as the other faulty joints.

Nope - it's actually a single run all the way from the pump to the bog. My thought was the line may have cracked from having water in it when it was so cold, but it seems highly unlikely. The flex PVC we used is very tough stuff. And since the pump came unglued, the check valve would have allowed water to back flow into the vault. Time will tell though!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog freezes deep, the mixture of pea gravel and water make a nice solid block. Yours might just be frozen enough to not allow water to flow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well after a few more days of 40 degrees plus (I went out and road my bike yesterday! In mid-January! What is up with this weather?) I plugged the pump in again today and HALLELUJAH! All is well! Just a frozen solid gravel bog... Phew!

That waterfall - music to my ears!

Ask a Question